The OCA Introduces Dr. Adrian Indermauer

Details on this year’s Extravaganza

Moderators: Jombi21, TheFishGuy, Don Danko, tankmates, LewC, Hilary, IThinkFast

LewC

The OCA Introduces Dr. Adrian Indermauer

Post by LewC » Sat Oct 22, 2016 9:02 am

Dr. Adrian Indermauer was born in Chur, Switzerland. Like many young boys, he had a fascination with creatures of the woodlands and waterways. This interest continued into young adulthood, and directed his choice of education. He studied for and received a Bachelor of Science degree in Biology, then his Master’s, at the Department of Evolutionary Biology, all at the University of Basel. His doctoral thesis, “Comparative Ecology and Phylogeography in East African Cichlid Fishes”, helped earn him a PhD under Prof. Walter Salzburger in 2014.

Adrian continues to work at the University of Basel’s highly regarded and internationally known Salzburger Lab as the Head of the Animal Facility. Here, he describes his duties:

I am responsible for the supervision, organization and development of our animal facility, including the execution and permission of animal experiments as well as the buildup and maintenance of our fish specimen collection. Also I am involved in preparation and assistance of our field-work in Zambia and Cameroon.

In addition to the above duties, I am involved in different research projects in the SalzburgerLab – and particularly in CICHLID~X – dealing with various topics such as genomics, ecological divergence, phylogeography and taxonomy.

And here, he describes himself:

I spend all the money I can save to travel the world - whenever possible. I love to explore different cultures and countries, of such especially those with good dive-sites. During the times at home I really enjoy a beer out with friends or once in a while a good movie. In winter I also like to get on my board and slide down the hills.

We are proud to introduce Adrian to the American cichlid hobby. This will be his 1st US appearance, but we’re sure he will become a familiar name here in the near future.

Adrian’s 1st presentation, “Fishes of Lake Tanganyika’s Affluent Rivers”, will be given Friday evening at 7:15. At 9:00 Saturday morning, he will talk about the “Cichlids of the Cameroonian Crater Lakes”.
Attachments
Adrian1 crop.jpg

zenins

Re: The OCA Introduces Dr. Adrian Indermauer

Post by zenins » Sat Oct 22, 2016 12:27 pm

Excellent sounding presentations, I can hardly wait :)

DAVE AYRES

Post by DAVE AYRES » Sun Oct 30, 2016 9:32 am

Great job Lew ! Arranging for Dr. Indermauer to present not one but two lectures at the Extravaganza is a real scoop for the OCA.
Anyone who is even remotely interested in the cichlids of Africa will not want to miss these talks.

LewC

Post by LewC » Sun Oct 30, 2016 1:49 pm

Thanks, David. Ad is the one who suggested we check him out.

Return to “Extravaganza News”