Michigan Passes Law to Require all Aquatic Species to be on a White List

Cichlids, Catfish, Conservation

Moderators: Jombi21, TheFishGuy, Don Danko, tankmates, LewC, Hilary

phil b

Michigan Passes Law to Require all Aquatic Species to be on a White List

Post by phil b » Tue Oct 06, 2015 2:33 pm

Feel free to read what I posted on Michigan Cichlid's Association Forum. The State recently passed a law that will require all aquatic species kept in the state to be listed on a DNR generated white list. For a store to sell it and for you to buy it or keep it, it will have to be on a list of approved species, or a white list. This is entirely different from a black list that simply identifies species that you cannot keep. Michigan already has black listed many aquatic species including fish and plants.

Sure hope this doesn't come to Ohio or we can say good bye to anything new in the hobby.

http://michigancichlid.com/simplemac...p?topic=7797.0

Phil
Phil Benes
ACA - Convention Liaison
Fellow - American Cichlid Association
GCAS - Auction Chair

Darrell Ullisch

Re: Michigan Passes Law to Require all Aquatic Species to be on a White List

Post by Darrell Ullisch » Thu Nov 12, 2015 9:11 am

The link to Michigan Cichlid is not working.

I have learned a few additional bits of information concerning this. First, the lead organization pushing for this white list was the World Wildlife Fund. Their objective is to make pet ownership so legally onerous as to discourage people from keeping pets. If you have supported this organization in the past, you might want to reconsider in the future, or your state could be next.

Second, the list of species is being assembled over a set period (I think he said about a year or so), according to Tim Boelema, who is one of the people representing the aquarium hobby business in these proceedings. He expects the list to include close to 40,000 species of fish by the time they are done. The objective is to make the list inclusive of any species that has ever been kept or sold in the state. The process for adding species after the fact will be neither simple nor quick.

Third, there were no additional funds allocated for the enforcement of this law. Essentially, this means there will be no organized effort to go around and check stores and homes for "illegal" fish. Also, the DNR is charged with enforcing this law but doesn't want the responsibility, and opposed the law. Unfortunately, you only need one zealous employee who decides to be a PITA about enforcing the new law. The black list continues to exist, as these are species that are likely or have been proven to be harmful to the environment.

Because the enforcement will be sparse and arbitrary, a lot of people are likely to take the attitude that "it's not illegal unless you get caught". This is not a good or safe way of thinking. I've known aquarists in Wisconsin who had their lives turned upside down because they had a few state protected native killifish that were not even collected in that state.

There are a lot of nutballs out there, from PETA to HSUS, and now apparently including WWF. Please stay vigilant, as these people are fanatics and do not give up. They will continue to find ways that appear innocent, but can still advance their position on "animal rights".
There are two kinds of error: blind credulity and piecemeal criticism. Sound skepticism is the necessary condition for good discernment; but piecemeal criticism is an error. - Egyptian proverb

JeremyBasch

Post by JeremyBasch » Sat Nov 14, 2015 7:34 pm

This is the first I have heard of this. Have there been any issues with the MI clubs yet?

Darrell Ullisch

Post by Darrell Ullisch » Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:05 am

There are people in the Grand Valley Aquarium Club who are directly involved on working up the list. The actual implementation of the law is some time away, so there hasn't been anything done yet. I would guess that the clubs around Detroit are aware, and also doing what they can.
There are two kinds of error: blind credulity and piecemeal criticism. Sound skepticism is the necessary condition for good discernment; but piecemeal criticism is an error. - Egyptian proverb

jcunningham0295

Post by jcunningham0295 » Wed Nov 18, 2015 5:19 am

The Michigan Cichlid Association is involved in helping out with this list as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Josh
Cunningham Cichlids, LLC.
Over 4,900 gallons of quality African Cichlids

Cunningham Cichlids

Return to “Ohio Cichlid Association”