Sure enough you were right. I woke up this morning to find the female hiding up in one corner with her tail badly nipped...
pair bond broken!!! I removed the female and a handful of fry to a separate (healing) tank and left the male guarding the rest of the brood.
1) Is it ok to leave the male in with the brood or will he eventually turn agressive with them? Does he need a threat to remain vigilant?
2) Is it ok to put the female back (without the fry) with the original outsiders or will they turn on her?
3) What is your recommended setup for maximizing the fry longevity?
4) If I need to move them, what is the best way to extract fry without damage? The syphon seems to cause them mortal stress.
5) I have a 90G community tank that i'm thinking of putting them into. It's not really a cichlid tank as it contains gouramis (2 Blue, 2 Moonlight), Loaches (3 Clown, 4 Skunks), Barbs (2 Rosy, 2 Gold), Danios (2 Giant, 2 Zebra), 2 Plecos, 2 Rainbow Sharks (I know, sounds like Noah's Ark) - and (the closest natural) 1 Rainbow Cichlid (H. multispinosa). Think that would be suitable?
6) I finally got some pics up (quality could be better but they didn't want to sit still)...can u tell if they are blue or gold?