Astatheros Rostratus

Discussion about cichlids from Central America

Re: Astatheros Rostratus

Postby Alex Odesit » Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:26 am

emk wrote:
chc wrote:Emk, it's very tough to tell which one is the male and which is the female in your photos (but you clearly have both -- congratulations!). Is that what you see in person too?

chc / Alex, in the first set of pictures I posted:
1. female
2. female
3. male - left side
4. male - right side
5. female - left side

Alex, when I do water changes, the new added water is cooler (but not cold) than the tank water. I do large (min 50%) water changes on all my tanks, including tanks with fry.

I think your fish are growing up nicely and already stunning! I think however that they are still a bit too young to spawn. Maybe in another 6 months they will be more interested in each other? But with cichlids, you never know because many will breed at much younger age/smaller size! From reading and research I've done, I think the riverine type you are keeping get much larger, 11+ inches! My largest lacustrine was at least 6 years old and was still only about 9 inches. I think because of this difference in size, the lacustrine is able to breed at smaller sizes.

I don't see any of the "rust" color on my lacustrine compared to the riverine type, however the olive green is more prominent with less spangling. It would be interesting to see if anyone could do more scientific research between these two fish because both types, in my opinion, seem different enough to almost be separate species (shape, coloration, size). Maybe that's a stretch and the differences can really be attributed to environmental conditions?

I got it right from your pictures (fish gender) good on me 8) It's numerous hours watching at my Rostratus paid off!
I also think that my fish is not mature yet, largest male just a lil over 6", others considerably smaller. They less than 2 year old.
Interesting observation: most flaring and tail beatings occurs after the tank lights is off. That’s only the time when I see them pay attention to each other, other then chasing. They do some body shaking, digging sand, but that’s about it for now.
Alex Odesit

Postby Alex Odesit » Thu Sep 16, 2010 3:08 pm

Trying to add duckweed to Rostratus diet. At least once/twice a week. I have daphnia colony going at my backyard, and plenty duckweed small and larger on the top of the buckets.
Fish particularly like the very young plant, around 2-3 mm.
The picture looks like it's algae on the front glass, but it's floating duckweed in the body of water.
Attachments
Rostratus 2.jpg
Rostratus.jpg
Alex Odesit

Postby Bas Pels » Fri Sep 17, 2010 1:37 am

Thank you for the pics on my birthday :lol:

Mine never eat duckweed (Lemna). Their tank has plety, but it grows uncontrolled.
Bas Pels

Postby chc » Fri Sep 17, 2010 7:37 am

Keep us updated on how the duckweed feeding goes.

In my large tank it is clear that "someone" is eating the duckweed, but I haven't seen the culprit yet. I have rostratus and several other species in the tank. I assume it's the maculicauda doing the duckweed eating, but I haven't seen it with my own eyes yet.
chc

Postby Alex Odesit » Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:33 am

Well, happy birthday Bas 8)
Have a long & healthy live, so you can enjoy you fish for a long while!
Chris, I start feeding duckweed from April of this year. None of the fish in my tanks are resisting. You should see Pearsei in 220 gal swallow pounds of it, he he.
As for Rostratus, they really enjoying this type of plant substance, but if I add leafs of Romain Lettuce they won't touched, seems Rostratus like smaller pieces, or it just taste different, I would not know, lol.
BTW, their (Rostratus) main diet from the time I got them is OSI spirulina flakes, they seems enjoying very much.
Sometimes I feed in the evening with some other food, like sinking algae pellets, very rarely dry krill , etc.
At least once a week, I skip feeding all together.
Seems working well for past 2 years or so..
Alex Odesit

Postby chc » Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:41 am

Alex Odesit wrote:Well, happy birthday Bas 8)
Have a long & healthy live, so you can enjoy you fish for a long while!
Chris, I start feeding duckweed from April of this year. None of the fish in my tanks are resisting. You should see Pearsei in 220 gal swallow pounds of it, he he.
As for Rostratus, they really enjoying this type of plant substance, but if I add leafs of Romain Lettuce they won't touched, seems Rostratus like smaller pieces, or it just taste different, I would not know, lol.
BTW, their (Rostratus) main diet from the time I got them is OSI spirulina flakes, they seems enjoying very much.
Sometimes I feed in the evening with some other food, like sinking algae pellets, very rarely dry krill , etc.
At least once a week, I skip feeding all together.
Seems working well for past 2 years or so..

Great info. Thanks!

I see you fast your fish from time to time. I do the same thing with my larger fish. It started years ago as an accident (just got too busy to feed a couple of times one week) and noticed the fish showed improved vitality. I'd say the manner in which I feed now is very unlike what it was years ago. I feed much more lightly, at higher frequency, than ever before with the addition of the fast day for the more predatory types in particular.

I have three varieties of duckweed right now (or at least one duckweed and two very similar varieties). Without exception, it's the "typical" duckweed variety that is eaten first. The larger variety is eaten next, and the type with the crinkled edges is eaten only when the others are completely gone. I'm tempted to do my own taste test! :)
chc

Postby Alex Odesit » Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:42 pm

chc wrote:
Alex Odesit wrote:Well, happy birthday Bas 8)

Great info. Thanks!

I see you fast your fish from time to time. I do the same thing with my larger fish. It started years ago as an accident (just got too busy to feed a couple of times one week) and noticed the fish showed improved vitality. I'd say the manner in which I feed now is very unlike what it was years ago. I feed much more lightly, at higher frequency, than ever before with the addition of the fast day for the more predatory types in particular.

I have three varieties of duckweed right now (or at least one duckweed and two very similar varieties). Without exception, it's the "typical" duckweed variety that is eaten first. The larger variety is eaten next, and the type with the crinkled edges is eaten only when the others are completely gone. I'm tempted to do my own taste test! :)

Ha Ha, taste it man and let me know, what varieties of duckweed is the most delicious.
As for the predatory cichlids diet, I also add several snails 3-4 times a week. I have colony going in my 29 gal Pensil fish breeder. All you need is to throw several large sinking algae pellets and snails will concentrate on top of it, use small net and you get the meal 8). Fish does spit shell particulars out, but something must stay in the body. Cause fish skin and fins looks much better after I start it couple years ago.
Alex Odesit

Postby Alex Odesit » Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:10 pm

A.Rostratus dinner 8)
Michelle's catch...
Attachments
A.Rostratus food.jpg
Alex Odesit

Postby Marko Lenac » Fri Oct 22, 2010 6:45 am

free swimmers in croatia!!! :D
Marko Lenac

Postby Bas Pels » Fri Oct 22, 2010 6:57 am

Three hurays for Croatia 8)

And Marco, congratulations for you as well. Any chance of a picture? If you fear it would scare the parents - just forget I asked
Bas Pels

Postby Alex Odesit » Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:56 am

Marko Lenac wrote:free swimmers in croatia!!! :D

Marko you got the fry?? Congrats!!
How old was a parents again?
Alex Odesit

Postby Michael Kwist » Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:43 pm

Good news Twin that you got freeswimmers :lol: :lol: :shock:
Greetings Michael.
Michael Kwist

Postby Alex Odesit » Sun Nov 07, 2010 2:11 pm

@ Want to share some of the latest pictures. Rostratus definitely getting mature but no pair off yet.
Attachments
Rostratus KisserR.jpg
Rostratus all.jpg
Rostratus !.jpg
Rostratus.jpg
Rostratus Red Tails.jpg
Alex Odesit

Postby dogofwar » Sun Nov 07, 2010 5:07 pm

I just got 4 of these guys @ 1" or so from Anubias Design (Mark Denaro). Are they as slow growing as A. altifrons?

Thanks,
Matt
www.capitalcichlids.org
dogofwar

Postby Rick Thibert » Sun Nov 07, 2010 5:28 pm

How are you finding keeping Xiphophorus with rostratus?? Do they eat the young??
Rick Thibert

Postby Alex Odesit » Sun Nov 07, 2010 5:31 pm

dogofwar wrote:I just got 4 of these guys @ 1" or so from Anubias Design (Mark Denaro). Are they as slow growing as A. altifrons?

Thanks,
Matt

Hi Matt,
Congrats on getting beautiful fish. Which one you have, riverine or lacustrine?
I didn't have chance to keep A. altifrons, but definitely seen much faster growing CA cichlids then A.Rostratus. I started this thread almost 2 years ago when I got these guys at 1". Today they range approximately between 5 and 6.5 " TL.
Alex
Alex Odesit

Postby Alex Odesit » Sun Nov 07, 2010 5:33 pm

Rick Thibert wrote:How are you finding keeping Xiphophorus with rostratus?? Do they eat the young??

Rostratus don't bother adults, but do eat Otapa fry quickly.
Alex Odesit

Postby JuanD15 » Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:09 am

Wow Alex, your Rostratus are looking good man.

i haven't seen them or any of the other fish you used to keep in a long time and i hope they are all doing good.

Juan
"WE live on a world made of lies not in China"
By Juan Damelines

Pleco & Geos Fan!!!
JuanD15

Postby Bas Pels » Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:02 am

Alex Odesit wrote:
Rick Thibert wrote:How are you finding keeping Xiphophorus with rostratus?? Do they eat the young??

Rostratus don't bother adults, but do eat Otapa fry quickly.

I used to keep rostratus with Poecilia salvatoris and Xiphophorus alvarezi - a large, southern sworttail

As Poecilia fry go to the surface, they were not bothered by anyone (including the rather fiercely canibalistic swordtails) but swordtails, staying near the bottem were mostly eaten. Howrever, a few managed to survive, inreasing the population slowly
Bas Pels

Postby Alex Odesit » Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:40 am

JuanD15 wrote:Wow Alex, your Rostratus are looking good man.

i haven't seen them or any of the other fish you used to keep in a long time and i hope they are all doing good.

Juan

Hey Juan!
Thanks, fishes doing Ok. Most of them from the old times 8) .
Alex
Alex Odesit

PreviousNext

Return to Central American Cichlids