Cichlid Temps Question

Discussion about cichlids from Central America
jfazande

Cichlid Temps Question

Post by jfazande » Tue Jul 04, 2017 7:50 pm

I currently have three tanks running in my garage. I live in South Louisiana so it gets pretty hot where I live. My tanks range from 86-90 degrees. Is that too hot in expert opinions? I keep Trichromis salvini, Amatitlania nigrofasciata, and exLamprologus brevis (African, I know). Are those ranges similar to natural habitats? I'll by a window a/c unit if I need to. Help!!

CA cichlid dude

Re: Cichlid Temps Question

Post by CA cichlid dude » Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:10 am

I am not sure what the optimal temp would be for this stock, but that is very hot. I know the t. Salvini won't fare well in the long term. Maybe get a window unit, but I would also consider a chiller. I don't know much about them, but it's worth a look. I struggle w/ keeping my summer temps in the mid 70f range in PA. W/ the AC on. I keep the temps down by doing water changes which is never a bad thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bas Pels

Post by Bas Pels » Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:16 pm

T salvini comes from the area around Vera Cruz. There, the coldest month in winter is 19 C on average. That is close to 60 F

Mostly, it is around 25, 26 C, and keeping them year round on that temp has prooven to be succesfull. But that is 80 F. Personally I keep them a bit cooler.

Amatitlania nigrofasciata come from Guatemala, where it is, perhaps, a little bit warmer. But not much

If Lamprologus brevis comes from Lake Tanganjica or Lake Malawi (I have no clue) - these lakes are almost always on 24 C, or 75 F. That is, near the surface. As they are very deep, the temp is rather stable. The fiosh from there are not good at adapting

So yes, the 86 - 90 F you mentioned are, generally too warm, by some 10 F

CA cichlid dude

Post by CA cichlid dude » Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:11 pm

Bas Pels wrote:T salvini comes from the area around Vera Cruz. There, the coldest month in winter is 19 C on average. That is close to 60 F

Mostly, it is around 25, 26 C, and keeping them year round on that temp has prooven to be succesfull. But that is 80 F. Personally I keep them a bit cooler.

Amatitlania nigrofasciata come from Guatemala, where it is, perhaps, a little bit warmer. But not much

If Lamprologus brevis comes from Lake Tanganjica or Lake Malawi (I have no clue) - these lakes are almost always on 24 C, or 75 F. That is, near the surface. As they are very deep, the temp is rather stable. The fiosh from there are not good at adapting

So yes, the 86 - 90 F you mentioned are, generally too warm, by some 10 F
Hi Bas,

Do you have suggestions how to keep the temps in that range?

Thanks,
Steve

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bas Pels

Post by Bas Pels » Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:42 am

The only way to keep temps below your surroundings is an airco. Personally I would wonder whether South American fishes are not a better solution, I dislike airco fiercely. But that is my personal opinion

CA cichlid dude

Post by CA cichlid dude » Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:37 am

Bas Pels wrote:The only way to keep temps below your surroundings is an airco. Personally I would wonder whether South American fishes are not a better solution, I dislike airco fiercely. But that is my personal opinion
I am not a fan of airco either, but I agree. In fall and winter months, the temps are perfect. I rarely use heaters at all because I only keep NA/CA cichlids. Luckily it's only 3-4 months of the year that I struggle to keep temps low. But where the OP lives, it is pretty hot year round.

Steve

Don Hiatt
CichlidRoom Expert

Post by Don Hiatt » Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:45 am

I think you should be fine as long as you make sure your tanks are well filtered and oxygenated.

Keep in mind that the metabolism in a cold blooded animal like a fish is going to running faster and producing more waste at higher temperatures.

Long term exposure to high temperatures has been known to take it's toll on fish. Example:Discus generally like to be kept at higher than average aquarium fish

temperatures, thus many people that mix discus with other species find that the other fish they have placed in their tanks either do not do well or die altogether.

CA cichlid dude

Post by CA cichlid dude » Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:39 am

Don Hiatt wrote:I think you should be fine as long as you make sure your tanks are well filtered and oxygenated.

Keep in mind that the metabolism in a cold blooded animal like a fish is going to running faster and producing more waste at higher temperatures.

Long term exposure to high temperatures has been known to take it's toll on fish. Example:Discus generally like to be kept at higher than average aquarium fish

temperatures, thus many people that mix discus with other species find that the other fish they have placed in their tanks either do not do well or die altogether.
I agree with this. I mostly keep thorichthys and cribroheros species. I try to keep the temps under the mid 70s. I keep them well oxygenated too.

Steve

Return to “Central American Cichlids”