Criboheros robertsoni

Discussion about cichlids from Central America
jfazande

Criboheros robertsoni

Post by jfazande » Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:06 pm

Is the 'Red Cheek' robertsoni from Rio Jutiapa the same as Criboheros robertsoni or is it considered a specie of its own?

CA cichlid dude

Re: Criboheros robertsoni

Post by CA cichlid dude » Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:03 am

It appears to be, but I haven't been able to find detailed info on this.

[IMG]//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201703 ... 299848.jpg[/IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bas Pels

Post by Bas Pels » Sat Mar 11, 2017 2:14 am

C robertsoni is quite a variable species. Some variants are high build, some slender. Some are very colourfull, some not.

However, their most close relatives are C longimanus and C rostratum. C longimanus is also very variable, but found more to the south (Honduras, Nicaragua, Costa Rica), where C rostratum is also found. Therefore, if the fish belongs in this group, and comes from Guatemala or Mexico, it must be C robertsoni.

If the shape is clearly not longimanus or rostratum, is also has to be robertsoni.

A personal note, perhaps C robertsoni is too variable - I´ve bred 2 variants, which had very different breeding habits (one on large stones, the other only on pebbles, and without these they did not produce a sngle egg), and even different breeding dresses (one with vertical bars, the other more like longimanus, but the body shape as claerly robertsoni) / but currently, none of these differences have lead to new species

jfazande

Post by jfazande » Sat Mar 11, 2017 11:33 am

Thanks for this info. I was considering getting some red cheek Robertsoni from Rapps but he has them as cf. robertsoni. I was concerned that they wouldn't resemble the robertsoni that I see on the net.

CA cichlid dude

Post by CA cichlid dude » Sat Mar 11, 2017 12:06 pm

jfazande wrote:Thanks for this info. I was considering getting some red cheek Robertsoni from Rapps but he has them as cf. robertsoni. I was concerned that they wouldn't resemble the robertsoni that I see on the net.
There are visual differences if that is the question. Cf. has more red and less intense blue. I would email Jeff for some pictures.

jfazande

Post by jfazande » Sat Mar 11, 2017 3:26 pm

CA cichlid dude wrote:
jfazande wrote:Thanks for this info. I was considering getting some red cheek Robertsoni from Rapps but he has them as cf. robertsoni. I was concerned that they wouldn't resemble the robertsoni that I see on the net.
There are visual differences if that is the question. Cf. has more red and less intense blue. I would email Jeff for some pictures.

I had a pair in '05 that I had to give away due to Hurricane Katrina. They survived for over 30 days with no food or electricity. I wanted a new pair but all I've seen was the Red Cheek variety. I guess I'll give them a shot.

CA cichlid dude

Post by CA cichlid dude » Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:49 am

jfazande wrote:
CA cichlid dude wrote:

I had a pair in '05 that I had to give away due to Hurricane Katrina. They survived for over 30 days with no food or electricity. I wanted a new pair but all I've seen was the Red Cheek variety. I guess I'll give them a shot.
I'm sorry to hear that about your pair :(

I think the ones the Wet Spot has now aren't the red cheek cf. robertsoni.
If you are posting on Tapatalk, you will be able to see this pic. They are tank raised fish, and the Wet Spot didn't know the origin/location of the parents. I bought 2 which are look like this.

[IMG]//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201703 ... c65864.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201703 ... 10d338.jpg[/IMG]

jfazande

Post by jfazande » Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:54 pm

Those robertsoni look like the ones that I had in '05. They hated each other.

Return to “Central American Cichlids”