This section deals with all aspects of the 'newbie' cichlid aquarist. For questions about tanks, water parameters, food, types of cichlids, and what other fish can be kept with them.

Moderator: Ken Boorman

Postby gregcurtis » Sun Feb 01, 2009 1:15 pm

Hello, I just joined the group and hope to learn alot about keeping cichlids. I have a 120g tank not setup as yet but I have kept cichlids before. Was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on a good selection of cichlids for this tank. I already know I want some female convicts( think they are less aggressive than males). Also like firemouths, dempseys, severums, and acaras. Would love to have a jaguar cichlid but feel it grows too big and aggressive for my other selection of fish. Any ideas would be carefully considered and most welcome. Also want to have a good selection of rock in my tank and would be open to suggestions for it also. Once again, glad to be here!
gregcurtis

Re: New Member

Postby cichlidchick » Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:16 am

Hi and welcome! I'm new here too, and new to cichlids but just wanted to tell you that in my 180 g setup I used reef rock I had saved from my old saltwater setup. Because of all the unusual shapes and nooks and crannies I was able to make lots of caves and tunnels without having to use any artificial fasteners, the rocks just sort of lock into place and the cichlids love it!
cichlidchick

Return to For Beginners