Brand New

This section deals with all aspects of the 'newbie' cichlid aquarist. For questions about tanks, water parameters, food, types of cichlids, and what other fish can be kept with them.

Moderator: Ken Boorman

Brand New

Postby lriddell » Mon Oct 13, 2008 11:20 pm

I have recently purchased a 125 gal with not really knowing what to do. I was thinking about salt and then realize the cost involved. Is there anyone that can let me know about the cichlid community and whatever else. How many fish I could have in the tank, what type of filter, skimmer, thermometer, and any other info you can give would be greatly appreciated. I live in elyria and would like to see some tank set ups if possible. Thanks ahead of time for any info.
Larry
lriddell

Re: Brand New

Postby PsYcHoTiC_MaDmAn » Tue Oct 14, 2008 7:08 am

whats the water like out the tap. this gives an easy indication as to which direction you'll sway with regard inhabitants.

cichlids vary considerably. with Amazonian and African Riverine fishes generally liking very soft acidic waters. and Rift lake Africans and central Americans preferring harder more alkaline waters.

add to this what sort of display you prefer, a few very big fish, or lots of smaller fish.

without these sorts of info cant recommend any stocking lists

as for equipment, for a cichlid tank its pretty basic. heater, filter, lights and thermometer. for a 125g I would recommend getting decent filtration, be it 1 massive canister (Fluval FX5 or Eheim 2080) or 2or3 smaller filters (Fluval 405, Rena XP3/XP4, Eheim 2026/2028)
Live in the UK?
Interested In Cichlids??
Then join the British Cichlid Association
PsYcHoTiC_MaDmAn

Postby Bas Pels » Tue Oct 14, 2008 7:16 am

lriddell wrote:I live in elyria and would like to see some tank set ups if possible.
Larry

a bit more info about Elyria might be usefull. This forum is very international, with people all around the globe

What is easy for me to get, might be hard to get in Brasil - and the other way around
Bas Pels

Postby lriddell » Tue Oct 14, 2008 12:28 pm

Sorry I'm new at this .. Elyria Ohio
lriddell

Postby Bas Pels » Tue Oct 14, 2008 12:42 pm

lriddell wrote:Sorry I'm new at this .. Elyria Ohio

USA, I think :lol:

What do you like:

A tank with many blue fish - Mbuna (if they fit - i know nearly nothing about Mbuna, and 125 gal is also strange to me - using liters)
A dark tank, with a few plantes, and a few fish - South America, or west Africa
A rocky tank, with some wood, and a few large fish - Central America

This site does have a lot of info about fishes. I'd say - select a few fishes you like, and inquire whether they can together, and fit into your tank. As a rule of thumb, it is not well advised to combine fishes from different habitats (South america, Centreal / North America, one of the Rift Lakers, West Africa, Madegascar)
Bas Pels

Postby Lisachromis » Tue Oct 14, 2008 2:34 pm

125 gallons (473 liters) would most likely be a tank 72" x 18" x 21"; which in actuality is 118 gallons (446 liters).

This would be a good size for a nice African Rift Lake cichlid tank. You're also in luck in having the Ohio Cichlid Association near you. You should contact them and they can help you source the fish you're interested in. Local Ohio water should be good for this as well (from what I recall). You'll get all sorts of answers as to what fish to get since everyone likes something different.

You should let us know what you're looking for in your fish and we can help you out better.

Do you want "pretty fish"?
Do you want fish with interesting behaviour?
Do you want to see parental care?
Do you plan on breeding your fish?
Lisachromis
Administrator

Postby Dan Woodland » Tue Oct 14, 2008 10:30 pm

Yep, Ohio is in the US :D and his water is just about perfect for African Cichlids. Central Americans would also do very well in that water.
Dan Woodland
CichlidRoom Expert

Return to For Beginners