Nomenclature change for cichlasoma

This section deals with all aspects of the 'newbie' cichlid aquarist. For questions about tanks, water parameters, food, types of cichlids, and what other fish can be kept with them.

Moderator: Ken Boorman

robert.brooks.tn

Nomenclature change for cichlasoma

Post by robert.brooks.tn » Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:10 pm

When did they start reclassifying and adding the newer genera for cichlids? Ive been out of the hobby a few years and want to correlate the taxonomy in my older books to the new names. Trying to find some type of comparison chart. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

Darrell Ullisch

Re: Nomenclature change for cichlasoma

Post by Darrell Ullisch » Fri Sep 15, 2017 5:24 pm

You might want to check out this thread from last year (https://www.cichlidae.com/forum/viewtop ... 17&t=18846). Has a lot of the details, and a considerable discussion. The actual paper makes for interesting reading.
There are two kinds of error: blind credulity and piecemeal criticism. Sound skepticism is the necessary condition for good discernment; but piecemeal criticism is an error. - Egyptian proverb

Bas Pels

Post by Bas Pels » Sat Sep 16, 2017 2:05 am

A lot of new names indeed, but fuzzy reading might help.

You know "Cichlasoma" salvini? It is now Trichomis salvini. The genus changed, the species name did not. Frankly, it can not change.

Still, some species names can change. If the gender of the genus name is different from the old genus, the ending of the speciesname can change.

But melanura, melanurus, melanurum - it is not that hard to overstep the differences. Whet might be hard is that this is the former sysnspilus ("C" synspila and "C" melanura turned out to be the same species, and melanura is the older name. The fishes don't look similar, due to the food available in the melanura area. This however is not considered to be of inportance)

Willem Heijns
CichlidRoom Expert

Post by Willem Heijns » Sat Sep 16, 2017 3:20 am

There is a Facebook group called "Heroine Cichlids" that can provide most of the answers.
Slàinte mhath!

Uilleam

robert.brooks.tn

Post by robert.brooks.tn » Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:51 am

Thank you all for the responses. I mainly raised and bred central and south american varieties and thats where i see the most changes. I did have a large african community tank with about 30-35 fish including some breeding bumblebees and pseudotrophs. African varities especialy haplochromis were rare but now thats flipped with LFS carrying mainly africans but no larger varities like the managuense, synspilum or texas. Is this the norm now? Thinking about setting up my large tanks again and would like to find some festae and green victorians.....probably a reach to track down a five spot jewel as well. If anyone knows good online places to shop plesse advise. Thanks again.

robert.brooks.tn

Post by robert.brooks.tn » Sat Sep 16, 2017 10:30 am

Darrell Ullisch wrote:You might want to check out this thread from last year (https://www.cichlidae.com/forum/viewtop ... 17&t=18846). Has a lot of the details, and a considerable discussion. The actual paper makes for interesting reading.
Thanks for the article. We do DNA barcode sequencing at our lab for verification of fish species sold in the commercial food industry. Nice to see how other labs are using the same technology to broaden our understanding of cichlids. Very nice article, thanks again. Have a great day.

robert.brooks.tn

Post by robert.brooks.tn » Sat Sep 16, 2017 10:49 am

Another question for the group...I've noticed that underground filters are scarce now. Are these not being used anymore? I see a lot more canister only systems now. I had large CA cichlids 10-12" and used both under gravel with powerheads, in conjunction with canister or hanging filters to handle the bio-burden. Thoughts on filtration for new setups?

Return to “For Beginners”