Lifespan in the plastic Bag...

This section deals with all aspects of the 'newbie' cichlid aquarist. For questions about tanks, water parameters, food, types of cichlids, and what other fish can be kept with them.

Moderator: Ken Boorman

krazykilroy

Lifespan in the plastic Bag...

Post by krazykilroy » Thu Jun 16, 2016 3:47 pm

Going back to check on things I left behind in Jersey, and spend Father's day with my sons, and thought about some of the shops they have in Jersey. They aren't half bad.

But it is a 4 hour trip from Jersey to Massachusetts (3-1/2, give or take where you are...), and I wanted to know if the fish will die before I get home.

It would suck to just have them for a short moment, so how long can they actually live in a bag from a regular pet store, and NOT filled with pure oxygen??

zenins

Re: Lifespan in the plastic Bag...

Post by zenins » Thu Jun 16, 2016 9:19 pm

I have traveled with fish in bags for up to 7 hours ... no problem if you do these two things:

1. Ratio of water to air in the bag should be 1 part water to 3 parts air ( 1/4 water, 3/4 air )
2. put the bags in an insulated box to maintain temperature ( or let it go down very slowly )
and keeps them in the dark to keep them calm so they don't breathe quickly

Good Luck

Bas Pels

Post by Bas Pels » Fri Jun 17, 2016 2:12 am

from a shop, that is, fishes most likely fed the same day, 8 houras if 1/3 of the bag is water and the rest is pure oxygen

If the fishes are starved for 48 hours, the same bag can contain them for up to 48 hrs.

If this time does not suffice, especially in case your trip home is more than 8 hrs, take along a bucket half full with the same water, stop somewhere and put the fishes into the bucket - leaving as much water as possible behind. A net makes this rather easy

As the fish will enter more water, and emptied their gut at least a bit, they will be able to spend up to 12 hours in the bucket. However, do mind the water temperature.

Still, in most cases the 8 hours will suffice. I once heard someone asking the shop peaople to use a larger bag, because they had to drive to the other side of town, being a drive of 30 minutes :)

Darrell Ullisch

Post by Darrell Ullisch » Fri Jun 17, 2016 8:42 am

Given the 1/3 water, 2/3 air rule for bagging, I have successfully shipped fish across the country, without using oxygen. It usually took 2-3 days, sometimes 4. I always have a bit of Polyfilter, an ammonia absorbing sponge, in the bag. It doesn't take much, an inch square will control ammonia for a 4 inch fish for a week or more. I have also seen a fish accidentally left in a bag that sat for over 3 weeks, and still survived. I wouldn't recommend it, though!

If you can drive from the store to home in less than a day, there is absolutely no reason to worry about the fish. As suggested, a cooler or styro box to control temperature and keep the fish in the dark will keep them calmer than rolling around in the seat of the car.
There are two kinds of error: blind credulity and piecemeal criticism. Sound skepticism is the necessary condition for good discernment; but piecemeal criticism is an error. - Egyptian proverb

Mike Wise
CichlidRoom Expert

Post by Mike Wise » Mon Jun 20, 2016 2:46 pm

I gave a talk on Apistogramma in Columbus Ohio Friday night where I got 4 A. nijsseni in the auction. They were all in one bag with about 12 oz./375ml of water. They stayed in a styrofoam box all day Saturday and flew home to Denver with me on Sunday. My guess is that they were in the one bag for at least 40 hours. I doubt that they were purged of food before bagging. They are now happily swimming around in a quarantine tank showing no ill effect from their time in the bag.

krazykilroy

Post by krazykilroy » Thu Jun 23, 2016 4:43 pm

Mike Wise wrote:I gave a talk on Apistogramma in Columbus Ohio Friday night where I got 4 A. nijsseni in the auction. They were all in one bag with about 12 oz./375ml of water. They stayed in a styrofoam box all day Saturday and flew home to Denver with me on Sunday. My guess is that they were in the one bag for at least 40 hours. I doubt that they were purged of food before bagging. They are now happily swimming around in a quarantine tank showing no ill effect from their time in the bag.
Was the Bag filled with pure Oxygen? or Just air? I asked Liveaquaria.com about their shipping process, and they say that they fill the bag with pure oxygen, allowing them to go for 36 hours, though they ship in around 12-24.

Mike Wise
CichlidRoom Expert

Post by Mike Wise » Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:34 am

krazykilroy wrote:Was the Bag filled with pure Oxygen? or Just air? I asked Liveaquaria.com about their shipping process, and they say that they fill the bag with pure oxygen, allowing them to go for 36 hours, though they ship in around 12-24.
I don't know for certain, but probably just air. I'm sure the bagger expected the fish to be in an aquarium soon after the auction, so no need to purge the fish or use O2.

Return to “For Beginners”