New tank, need advice

This section deals with all aspects of the 'newbie' cichlid aquarist. For questions about tanks, water parameters, food, types of cichlids, and what other fish can be kept with them.

Moderator: Ken Boorman

maramarques

New tank, need advice

Post by maramarques » Wed Jan 28, 2015 8:39 pm

Hi,

Im starting a new cichlid tank, the dimensions are: 1.70cm long, 50cms wide and 70 cms tall. According to my calculations 530 lts.
I want to do an all male tank, and i have some species that im thinking about getting, can i get some advices if they can go together?

These are the ones i would like to have:

Lethrinops
Otopharynx lithobates
Placidochramis electra
Copadichromis azureus
Altolamprologus Calvus/compressiceps
Labidochromis caeruleus
Aulonacara baenschi
Aulonacara Maulana
Aulonacara jacobfreibergi
Auloncara stuartgranti
Aulonacara koningsi
Aulonacara OB Peacock
Aulonacara Fire Fish
Aulonacara Red Shoulders
Aulonacara cherry
Cyrtocara Moorii

I was thinking maybe one of each?
How many can i have in the tank of my dimensions?

Thank you!

Cali_Cichness

Re: New tank, need advice

Post by Cali_Cichness » Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:05 pm

In my past setup and expierance I had cichlids of all types and they did great together. There was normal aggression but nothing too crazy. Never lost one fish in that setup... Till I accedently killed them all that is. But I had mbuna, haps and even a couple ice blue convicts. I know for sure I had lake Malawi, Victoria and South American in the same tank. Just make sure there's plenty of housing and they should do fine. My mbunas even bred in the setup. As for how many, that really depends on your filtration per gallon. I had a stock of about 15+ mixed cichlids in a 40 gallon. Good luck!

Return to “For Beginners”