any help with decor ideas

This section deals with all aspects of the 'newbie' cichlid aquarist. For questions about tanks, water parameters, food, types of cichlids, and what other fish can be kept with them.

Moderator: Ken Boorman

chiefbigsmoke

any help with decor ideas

Post by chiefbigsmoke » Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:20 am

As you can see in the pics I have a 70 gal tank with two filter pumps, two bubble bars (which my ob peacock seems to love swimming back and forth in) and a submersible heater. I feel like I need more hiding spots for the fish but I'm running out of room on the bottom of the tank to the point it seems crowded. Any ideas what to do?
Attachments
20130221_081820.jpg

Lisachromis
Administrator

Re: any help with decor ideas

Post by Lisachromis » Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:33 am

Many African cichlid keepers make their rock piles go up so that the back wall and even the sides (depends on the person) are covered in rock piles.

Dan Woodland
CichlidRoom Expert

Post by Dan Woodland » Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:01 am

chiefbigsmoke wrote:As you can see in the pics I have a 70 gal tank with two filter pumps, two bubble bars (which my ob peacock seems to love swimming back and forth in) and a submersible heater. I feel like I need more hiding spots for the fish but I'm running out of room on the bottom of the tank to the point it seems crowded. Any ideas what to do?
Your feeling is spot on, you need more hiding places for your fish. As Lisachromis mentioned, more rocks, boulders etc... Lake Malawi is full of rocky outcrops where fish hide and live.

How you build your piles will very but make sure you don't build them on the gravel or bare glass. Use something between the gall and boulders like egg crate or flat pieces of thin slate. The idea is to avoid cracking the tank bottom by creating pressure points - let the egg crate or slate take the burden.

Good luck, post some pictures when you are all set up! Dan

chiefbigsmoke

Post by chiefbigsmoke » Sat Mar 09, 2013 1:41 am

Thanks for all the input. I'll definitely start looking to add more rock to the tank.

chiefbigsmoke

Post by chiefbigsmoke » Sat Mar 09, 2013 1:45 am

When you say egg crate are you referring to the paper egg crate or the foam stuff? And what would be the safest rock to use. I've seen pics of tanks on here and I'm envious and wish to make my tank look just as nice

chiefbigsmoke

Post by chiefbigsmoke » Sat Mar 09, 2013 1:45 am

When you say egg crate are you referring to the paper egg crate or the foam stuff? And what would be the safest rock to use. I've seen pics of tanks on here and I'm envious and wish to make my tank look just as nice

jcunningham0295

Post by jcunningham0295 » Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:18 am

For egg create he is referring to the hard plastic grid pieces usually in Lowes by the drop celling material.

Josh
Cunningham Cichlids

1830 gallons of African Cichlids and growing

Cunningham Cichlids
Josh
Cunningham Cichlids, LLC.
Over 4,900 gallons of quality African Cichlids

Cunningham Cichlids

chiefbigsmoke

Post by chiefbigsmoke » Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:13 am

Thanks I'll have to go get some when I get the rock I need.

Dan Woodland
CichlidRoom Expert

Post by Dan Woodland » Sat Mar 09, 2013 2:52 pm

Return to “For Beginners”