Ophthalmotilapia nasuta

A place to discuss the wonderful assemblage of lake Tanganyika cichlids from the tribe Ectodini, like Callochromis, Xenotilapia, Enantiopus, Cyathopharynx and Ophthalmotilapia!

Moderator: Thomas Andersen

Ophthalmotilapia nasuta

Postby Sandsilden » Mon Sep 24, 2007 11:30 am

Does anyone knows if Ophthalmotilapia nasuta Gold Kipili is the same variation as Ophthalmotilapia nasuta gold Ulwile
Best regards
Frank Nørby
Sandsilden

Re: Ophthalmotilapia nasuta

Postby Thomas Andersen » Fri Sep 28, 2007 5:23 am

Hi Frank, nice to see you here :wink:

It's a good question, and to be honest I'm not sure if they are the same. Kipili has in past been a catch all name (and it still is to a certain degree) for fishes caught not only at Kipili, but also on the nearby islands. An example of this is the neonstripe Ophthalmotilapia boops that were imported under the name of "Kipili" - we now know that this variant are only found at the nearby island of Nkondwe. There are also some rather extreme examples: e.g. Petrochromis sp. "Giant" were initially reported from "an island somewhere south of Kipili" - it turned out that this locality was Fulwe Rocks, 60 km's from Kipili!

Back to your question: it's quite possible that the nasuta labelled "Kipili" are caught at the nearby island of Ulwile, but I'm not certain. Maybe Mark, Philippe or Enrico can be more precise. I have only kept the one labelled Kipili, and have not seen the Ulwile at first hand, but the latter seems to be a bit more orange on photos (which could be explained by different feeding etc.).

Do you keep both at the moment? If you do, have you noticed any differences?

All the best, Thomas
Thomas Andersen
CichlidRoom Expert

Postby EC » Fri Sep 28, 2007 9:14 am

Thomas Andersen wrote:Maybe Mark, Philippe or Enrico can be more precise.

They are similar but I don't know if can be the same population or not. Ulwile is in front of Kipili. Fishermen use the kipili name for ulwile, kerenge, mvuna, mkinga or nkondwe so when they come back with cichlids you must ask for the place. For example I asked for sunflowers kipili and they said have catched them in kerenge. It' possible to find populations mixed if there's not enough space in the tanks on the boat.

Ciao Enrico
EC

Postby Sandsilden » Sat Sep 29, 2007 10:29 am

Thank for the answers guys, i have just got a shipment of O. Nasuta Uilwe too suplement for my O, Nasuta Kipili, and they seems to be identical i body, head, stribs and spots, so i presume the they are the same
Attachments
nasuta.jpg
Best regards
Frank Nørby
Sandsilden

Postby Sandsilden » Sat Sep 29, 2007 10:30 am

:D
Attachments
nasuta 1.jpg
Best regards
Frank Nørby