favipinnis or bathyphilus

A place to discuss the wonderful assemblage of lake Tanganyika cichlids from the tribe Ectodini, like Callochromis, Xenotilapia, Enantiopus, Cyathopharynx and Ophthalmotilapia!

Moderator: Thomas Andersen

polgi

favipinnis or bathyphilus

Post by polgi » Sat May 04, 2013 3:06 am

Hello

a few weeks ago i bought some new young xenotilapia than xenotilapia flavipinnis isanga...im not sure this fish flavipinnis...so blue lips, little bit darker tail...some fish haven't color or pale color...this fhis now about 5-6 cm....what do you think?flavipinnis or bathyphilus?

thanks attila from hungary
Attachments
IMG_9753.jpg
IMG_9755.jpg
IMG_9760.jpg

Adrian Indermaur
CichlidRoom Expert

Re: favipinnis or bathyphilus

Post by Adrian Indermaur » Mon May 06, 2013 3:38 am

Hy Attila,
I would say its X. bathiphyla
Greetings from Basel

polgi

Post by polgi » Mon May 06, 2013 9:06 am

Thanks, I was thinking, maybe bathyphilus Isanga, but I have not seen nor was I live, so the photos do not really know basis to distinguish these types are ..Isanga, Congo, Sambia, Blue Lips....Does anyone know what the difference between them? photographs often deceptive..

Qaddiction

Post by Qaddiction » Mon May 06, 2013 11:33 am

With that black dot on the gill plate I would guess bathyphilus. I have seen some flavipinnis with that black dot though, but I don't think it is nearly as common on the flavipinnis.

You purchased these as Xenotilapia flavipinnis "Isanga"? I have kept Xenotilapia bathypilus "Isanga" in the past. My adult males had yellow lips though. Not sure if the same locale has males with both blue and yellow lips. I haven't seen the flavipinnis from "Isanga".

If you click on the link to my website in my signature, you can go to the gallery and see a picture of my bathyphilus and flavipinnis.
Tanganyikans Rule! Currently breeding Shell dwellers, Sandsifters, Cyprichromis, Featherfins, and other Tanganyikan oddities.
Check out: http://leisingsaquatics.weebly.com

Adrian Indermaur
CichlidRoom Expert

Post by Adrian Indermaur » Tue May 07, 2013 3:40 am

...well its definetly not X. flavipinnis Isanga... they look completely different, almost no blue and a uniformly yellow dorsal.

Cheers
Greetings from Basel

tanganyikafreak

Post by tanganyikafreak » Sun May 12, 2013 9:04 am

I'm also going for bathiphylus, but it seems this one has a 'odd' head.
In my experience bathy's have a more elongated head, like ochrogenys and singularis
No matter how life brings me down, looking at my beautiful daughter makes everything aaaaaaaaaaaaaalright! :D

Benoit

Post by Benoit » Mon May 20, 2013 4:08 am

Sorry Adrian, it is good to X. bathyphilus, not flavipinnis, look at blue lips. ;)

Adrian Indermaur
CichlidRoom Expert

Post by Adrian Indermaur » Fri May 24, 2013 9:55 am

Hey Benoit,

I think we all agree here that it is X. bathyphila! I wrote above that it is NOT X. flavipinnis for the reason of the lips and more.

Cheers Adrian
Greetings from Basel

polgi

Post by polgi » Fri May 24, 2013 12:30 pm

it is certain that they xenotilapia bathyphilus, Almost every girl is "pregnant"..:)So I have 4female
3 male......

attila from Hungary

Return to “Lake Tanganyika Sand-dwellers and Featherfins”