Cyathopharynx furcifer ID please

A place to discuss the wonderful assemblage of lake Tanganyika cichlids from the tribe Ectodini, like Callochromis, Xenotilapia, Enantiopus, Cyathopharynx and Ophthalmotilapia!

Moderator: Thomas Andersen

kenko

Cyathopharynx furcifer ID please

Post by kenko » Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:08 am

Hi all - I was hoping I could get some clarity on this particular variety.

They came to me as German F1 Cyathopharynx furcifer Ruziba, (from someone I know not direct) however as they matured, I noticed the lack of striped detail in the finnage and body being more blue/purple than one usually sees in this strain.

Now I am thinking that they may be Cyathopharynx Furcifer Foai Nyanza Lac. Thoughts?

I couldn't snap any good pics, but I do have a VIDEO

I'd like to be certain as I have a handful of eggs tumbling at the moment. Plus, I have another male (seen below) of different blood in another tank that I'd like to introduce to the females. Could the one in the pic actually be a Ruziba? I know it is difficult to say... Now I'm confused... Thanks much for any assistance.

Michael Andersen

Re: Cyathopharynx furcifer ID please

Post by Michael Andersen » Wed Jan 25, 2012 3:22 pm

You need to show us some pictures of a male colouring up, without colours all furcifer look the same, I think it is hard to tell the variant from the video.

There is no such thing as Cyathopharynx Furcifer Foai, there are Cyathopharynx Furcifer and Cyathopharynx Foai, I don´t know if both are present at Nyanza Lac.

kenko

Post by kenko » Wed Jan 25, 2012 4:38 pm

Thank you for the response. Yes, colors would be ideal, but if the one in my pic would color up I would probably be able to identify him myself. ;)
I've now put all fish (the group with the different bloodline male) together in hoping the colorless one would color up - but also hoping that they don't breed until I figure out this riddle.

Regarding the yellow markings, both Ruziba and Nyanza Lac have the yellow edge on the rear of the anal fin as well as some yellow along the top of the dorsal. Some ruzibas I've seen also have a yellow spot on the operculum. But the biggest identifying features of all - the lighter blue distinct markings on all fins is clearly lacking from the colored male...like on this typical looking Ruziba (thanks bjolly).

All finnage on the colored male in the video are approaching solid black like this picture of a wild Nyanza Lac shows. (Thanks @nt!x)

According to my readings, all references have been calling it Furcifer Foai Nyanza Lac. Odd yes, I know... Maybe I just answered my own questions with the observations above - but are there some Ruzibas that have all black finnage without those markings? And if it is in fact a Nyanza Lac, I will start calling them so until otherwise proven wrong. Any additional input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

angleblue63

Post by angleblue63 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:45 am

The young pair got it right the first time. Fry are all over the tank, and the parents are doing a great job guarding them. Im going to try to pull about half of them out this weekend and grow them out before delivering them over to Jeff @ Tangled Up in Cichlids. Fry in every photo, some blend in the with the sand.. sorry
"Stive"

Return to “Lake Tanganyika Sand-dwellers and Featherfins”