Actually copyright on photographs does not need the actual copyright symbol on it for copyright to apply.
1) "If it doesn't have a copyright notice, it's not copyrighted."
2) "If I don't charge for it, it's not a violation."
3) "If it's posted to Usenet it's in the public domain."
4) "My posting was just fair use!"
5) "If you don't defend your copyright you lose it." -- "Somebody has that name copyrighted!"
6) "If I make up my own stories, but base them on another work, my new work belongs to me."
7) "They can't get me, defendants in court have powerful rights!"
"Oh, so copyright violation isn't a crime or anything?"
9) "It doesn't hurt anybody -- in fact it's free advertising."
10) "They e-mailed me a copy, so I can post it."
That site does a decent job of explaining what is, and what isn't copyrighted whether or not it says so.