how long can crayfish live out of water??

Discussion on general cichlid care and issues. ID cichlids you don't know the origin of. Mixed tank questions.

Moderators: Troy, Ken Boorman

how long can crayfish live out of water??

Postby jefgorbach » Thu Aug 05, 2010 7:17 pm

Ok, know this is gonna provide a good laugh but I picked up a couple of German self-cloning crayfish fry at one of the May/June auctions and everything's been going/growing fine .... until this morning's feeding revealed one decided to climb out of the tank and go exploring around the house during the night!

Granted,it should not be THAT difficult to spot a 3-inch "fish" wandering where it doesn't belong, but so far its eluded me, allie, and our 3-year old beagle for a good 12-hours and counting. It seems odd to be setting out trays of food/water for what until today was considered a fish! lol

Anyway,.... anybody know how long a crayfish can live out of water??
None of the informative hobby/pseudo-scientific sites seem to mention this particular (mis)behavior, while more general answer sites return "they cant" to "6-7 months in a humid environment" implying there might be some hope.

PS: capture suggestions are also welcome.
jefgorbach

Re: how long can crayfish live out of water??

Postby Dan Woodland » Mon Aug 09, 2010 1:10 pm

Crayfish wandering through the house with a dog = no more crayfish. I think you're wasting your time searching. Fido did what comes naturally.
Dan Woodland
CichlidRoom Expert

Postby EC » Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:09 am

jefgorbach wrote:and our 3-year old beagle

My beagle don't eat crayfish (marmorkrebs) and others crustaceans (aegla, macrobrachium or some crabs) but can easily find them when they climb out of the tank and call me before they die dried for home heating.

Ciao Enrico

http://waterpollo.blogspot.com/
EC

Postby Mark Smith » Sat Oct 09, 2010 11:01 am

I'm sorry, but is this a General Cichlid question?
Mark Smith
CichlidRoom Expert

Postby Dan Woodland » Sat Oct 09, 2010 1:55 pm

Obviously Mark, a moderator has not move it yet or...... does it really mater that much?
Dan Woodland
CichlidRoom Expert

Postby Mark Smith » Sat Oct 09, 2010 4:33 pm

Sure it does. Otherwise, what is the point of having various sections within Cichlidae.com. Perhaps this section would also be a good place for me to talk about my cycads, etc?
Mark Smith
CichlidRoom Expert

Return to General Cichlids