Id for my mystery fish

Discussion on general cichlid care and issues. ID cichlids you don't know the origin of. Mixed tank questions.

Moderators: Troy, Ken Boorman

Id for my mystery fish

Postby purplecandle » Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:26 pm

I need an ID for a Cichlid I just bought. I have already posted on a few forums, but have had not much luck. Some think convict, some hybrid, I think it just kind of looks like a con and was collected as a con, but is not a full blooded con. I just want to know what this fish will need as far as tankmates, tanksize and so on.

He was very beat up at the store so his fins are nipped. He is extremely passive and completely non-aggressive he was even bossed around by a juvi tiger barb a third of his size in the quarantine tank.

A lot have told me that I just have to wait to find an ID, but I thought I would give another forum a shot. the best ID i have got so far is australoheros.

Ok, he also changes colors a lot

Solid black = happy not stressed
Lighter, showing bar = getting stressed out
Lightly colored body, solid light head = Very stressed.

Thanks for your time.
Attachments
b.jpg
b.jpg (73.19 KiB) Viewed 3246 times
a.jpg
a.jpg (50.41 KiB) Viewed 3246 times
a.jpg
a.jpg (50.41 KiB) Viewed 3246 times
100_9524.jpg
100_9524.jpg (51.72 KiB) Viewed 3246 times
100_9521.jpg
100_9521.jpg (101.38 KiB) Viewed 3246 times
100_9520.jpg
100_9520.jpg (100.28 KiB) Viewed 3246 times
100_9501.jpg
100_9494.jpg
100_9494.jpg (47.76 KiB) Viewed 3246 times
100_9491.jpg
100_9491.jpg (48.3 KiB) Viewed 3246 times
100_9489.jpg
100_9489.jpg (56.85 KiB) Viewed 3246 times
purplecandle

Re: Id for my mystery fish

Postby snakeskinner » Fri Jan 21, 2011 7:51 pm

not even close to a convict. The australoheros is a good guess, not sure how likely that would be though and I'm not real firmiliar with that fish. The colors and shape look a lot like some of the jack dempsey's out there and they are very common but other things like the stripes make me question that.. Does this store keep cookie cutter fish or do they dabble in cool stuff? Kyle
snakeskinner

Postby Bas Pels » Sat Jan 22, 2011 3:39 am

perhaps an Herichthys?

Not an Australoheros, as these have a horizontal bar behind the eye, a bit above it to be exactly

but it could just as wel be African - aor lamost any American else
Bas Pels

Postby smitty » Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:02 am

Maybe a texas and carpintis mix.
150gal- Dovi's; 3 AC 110 P.Filters; 2 AC 110 P.Heads; Eheim 2217,2260
180gal- Managuense; 3 AC 110 P.Filters; 2 AC 110 P.Heads; Eheim 2217,2260; FX5
210gal- Argta,Bifsct,Fnstrtus,Maculcda,Regani,Syns,Zntus; 4 AC P.Filters; 2 AC P.Hds; Eheim 2250,2262; FX5
smitty

Postby SergeS » Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:17 am

The head is a bit Lethrinops- or Aulonocara-like, and the blue spots / blotches in the fins also sort of point in that direction, but it's not even close to what it should be, if it is indeed one of those. If it is from Lake Malawi, it's some sort of hybrid/crossbred. What X What? No idea :)
SergeS

Postby purplecandle » Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:32 pm

snakeskinner wrote:not even close to a convict. The australoheros is a good guess, not sure how likely that would be though and I'm not real firmiliar with that fish. The colors and shape look a lot like some of the jack dempsey's out there and they are very common but other things like the stripes make me question that.. Does this store keep cookie cutter fish or do they dabble in cool stuff? Kyle

I only just discovered this store, but they do seem to have a good selection. Nothing very odd ball and not a great selction of cichlids but they have a lot of tetra/small fish. Everything they have looks pretty healthy.

The tank my fish was in was marked "Central American Cichlids" It had convicts, jewels, Dempseys, firemouths and a few others.

I asked about where they may have gotten my fish from and the lady said they had this fish for a month and it came is a shipment together with the other cichlids in the tank. she said they do not order those, they just get in shipments of "mixed central americans"

Looks like I have a variety of IDs here. LOL At least no one is saying it is a convict!

Is there a way to tell if it is African?
purplecandle

Postby SergeS » Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:02 am

purplecandle wrote:Is there a way to tell if it is African?

You could check his boarding pass :)

But seriously, clear eggspots would, for example, point in the direction of Africa. Aulonocara spp. for example, often show relatively large, colourful eggspots. Same for Lethrinops spp. But there are other species from other lakes and continents that have eggspots as well. I'm not really aware of any '100%-proof-rift lake-typical' properties. Maybe one of the more scientifically oriented visitors of the forum can help us here, I would be interested too ;)

And now that you mention it, it does look a bit like a crossbred Convict :lol:
SergeS

Postby Adrian Indermaur » Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:19 am

Hy,
the fellow is still very young but I'm pretty sure its not an African! If the shipment really is from Central America my first quess would be Astatheros macracanthus. or even the dubious A. margaritifer. If it's Southamerica Australoheros seems plausible, especially the headshape points toward this group...
A mix could also very well be....

Edit: Of all the traits in cichlids there is not one that I know of (apart from maybe true eggspots) that would make a sure indication towards african cichlids.

Cheers Adrian
Greetings from Basel
Adrian Indermaur
CichlidRoom Expert

Postby Adrian Indermaur » Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:03 am

Hy,
another thought...
the body shape and the head profile in the darker pictures also reminds me a lot of Acaronia vultuosa.... but the markings on the head are missing and the eye is to small...
I still think its A. macracanthus. Also compare to viewtopic.php?f=4&t=9674 (the fourth picture). The head profile is not right but that can vary a lot from my experiance.....

Greets
Greetings from Basel
Adrian Indermaur
CichlidRoom Expert

Return to General Cichlids