First Community Cichlid Tank

Discussion on general cichlid care and issues. ID cichlids you don't know the origin of. Mixed tank questions.

Moderators: Troy, Ken Boorman

kelly_jantzen

First Community Cichlid Tank

Post by kelly_jantzen » Sun Aug 06, 2017 3:22 pm

Hello,

I recently purchased 10 OB/ Colorful/ Mixed peacocks from the ACA convention in Michigan. I usually stick with species specific tanks. Even though the tank is almost completely Texas holy rock there is still aggression in the tank. I decided to make it a community tank. I added 8 Bala sharks, and 6 redtail botia loaches. For each loach I added a hollow rock territory because the peacocks have their territories in the Texas holy rock. The Bala sharks swim in the middle of the tank all together. So basically I have bottom dwellers, mid dwellers, and rock dwellers. The pH is around 7.5 and the temperature is around 76 F. I tried this set up yesterday and it has not stopped the peacock aggression. No the tank is not over crowed, yes I know how large everything gets, and yes I have found a common ground with food. I have never tried having a tank like this before, all my other tanks are breeding or grow out. Can I please have some advice? What other ideas can I use?

Thanks Kelly

deeda

Re: First Community Cichlid Tank

Post by deeda » Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:24 am

Kelly, it would be helpful to know the size and dimensions of the aquarium.
Dee

OCA member thru 11/2017

kelly_jantzen

Post by kelly_jantzen » Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:43 pm

150 gallon, a very commonly shaped tank as well, consider the width approximately 72 inches to 73 inches. No fish in the tank exceeds 2 inches yet.
I am waiting for a larger tank because its basically a show tank to get away form our breeding tanks. A tank set a side to watch and enjoy fish.

Thank you,
Kelly

kelly_jantzen

Post by kelly_jantzen » Sat Aug 12, 2017 4:04 pm

Hello Again,

Our fish have had time to adjust. I wouldn't suggest this method to people who want to become Cichlid keepers. We have a fishroom with only species specific tanks and that seems to be the best method with little problems we as a family have agreed on. However, the idea of a Cichlid community tank has actually worked out for me. It is really interactive. The reason why I chose the specific fish: the 10 peacocks male, the 8 Bala sharks, and the redtail botial loaches (5) not (6) I made a typo is because we have done other types of community tanks with Malawi Cichlids such as adding Tilapia, and forms of African Catfish. The latter way might be more excepted but it required more attention to pH, more substrate cleaning, and more heavier load filtration such as a sump. I like the combination I chose for an office tank with 2 Marineland filter sized to tank, and two sponge filters at either side not forgetting the weekly water change. It required a tone of rock caves and Texas holy rock but its calmed down and is really interactive for me to watch. I have realized meatier feeding keeps them calmer. So I feed three times a day, flake, a frozen compo, and then flake again. And NO I have not put any of the fish my wife is bring to the ACA convention in Texas in their.

Just an update I think it will work!

deeda

Post by deeda » Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:12 pm

Kelly, good to hear that things are doing better and I apologize for not responding before, I actually forgot to answer your last post.

Can you post a pic of the tank?
Dee

OCA member thru 11/2017

Return to “General Cichlids”