Help with a massive aquarium & fish placement setup

Discussion on general cichlid care and issues. ID cichlids you don't know the origin of. Mixed tank questions.

Moderators: Troy, Ken Boorman

easywolf31

Help with a massive aquarium & fish placement setup

Post by easywolf31 » Sat Apr 29, 2017 11:38 am

Hey all, I've come down with my final setup which will be a massive one (to me at least). If anyone wants to look through it and have a go with some advice please feel free.

It involves 9 aquariums.

1. 140G (5x2x2) 5 blue dolphins (1 m, 4 f), a Leleupi pair, 1 J. Dickfieldi, 1 Neolamp. Olivaceous & 2 small Frontosa Burundi which I will give away when they get to the 5-6" range.
This is the only aquarium I ccurrently have right in my living room as it's a really nice looking Fluval Profile 1500.

All the rest are in a 12×8' room in my basement.
2. 125G (72×18×24) 7 Gibberosa Mpwewe (1"), 5 G. Moba (1.5"), 1 Leleupi pair & 1 Juli. Marlieri pair. I would really not want to move the Leleupi and Marlieri pairs as they have perfect cave homes and getting ready to breed.

3. 125G (72×18×24) 7 Frontosa Kigomas (1.5-2"), 1 Male blue dolphin, 1 Neolamp. Daffodil, 1 Juli. Transcriptus, 1 Juli. Regani 

4. 75G (48×18×21) a pair of Blood Red Forest Jewel Cichlids
5. 60G (48x16x19) 1 female Green Texas & 1 Male Red Texas (more like a Green Texas with a red line on tail).
6. 60G (36×16×21) A pair of Neolamp. Brichardis
7. 55G (48×18×15H) A pair of Leleupis 
8. 55G (48×18×15H) Extra Fry/quarantine/hispital/scared female tank
9. 40G (36x16x19) A pair of Juli. Reganis

Now I'm getting the rest of the aquariums on Monday, Tuesday and Friday. Do you see anything that is very wrong here or does it sound ok. I also have a regular female Jewel not sure what to do with her...
150G Mpimbwes, Marlieris, Leleupi, Regani
140G Blue Dolphins, Y.Labs, Burundis
Dickfieldis, Leleupi, Olivaceous, Daffodil
125G Kigomas, Mobas, Leleupis
75G Red Forest Jewels
60G Red Texas & Green Texas
60G Brichardis
55G Green Terrors
55G Fry
40G Fry

Lisachromis
Administrator

Re: Help with a massive aquarium & fish placement setup

Post by Lisachromis » Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:33 am

5 x 2 x 2 is 150 gallons. The 6 x 1 1/2 x 2 is 135 gallons. I personally would go for either the dickfeldi or the olivaceous, not both as they take the same sort of niche in the tank. Are you wanting to breed or just have a 'pretty' tank? The jewel can probably live here if you want to keep it. Another option is to sell it to someone looking for a female jewel. I haven't looked too hard at the other tanks, but they seem to be species only.

easywolf31

Post by easywolf31 » Wed May 17, 2017 5:59 pm

Hi Lisa, this is what I ended up doing:

150G Kigomas, Mobas, Marlieri pair
140G Blue Dolphins, Yellow Labs, F. Burundis,
Leleupi, Olivaceous, Daffodil, Dickfieldi
125G Mpimbwes, Marlieri pair, Leleupi, Regani
75G Red Forest Jewel pair & 300 fry
60G Red Texas
60G Brichardi pair
55G Green Texas & Jewel
55G Leleupi pair
40G empty fry tank

Do you think fish hate being on the bottom floor of a rack? My only current problem is the leleupi pair in a 55G and Green Texas with a Jewel in the other 55G. Those are my only 2 aquariums sitting on bottom shelves. The inhabitants inside seem stunned and scared. Besides the Jewel eating one pellet in 5 days, the other 3 have not eaten or moved. They seem shocked. Any advice? Think I should add some stress coat? Methylyn blue? Melafix? Feel sorry for them hope they make it. This was a major move last Friday...had to setup and reconfigure 8 aquariums in 8 hours...happy it's over with. All the rest are doing fine, checking parameters, water changes, all is going great.

The Olivaceous, Daffodil and Julie Dickfeldi are doing good, I believe all 3 are females. This Olivaceous is really nasty to other females though lol.
75G Red Forest Jewels
60G Brichardis
55G Green Terrors
55G Fry
40G Fry

Lisachromis
Administrator

Post by Lisachromis » Thu May 18, 2017 2:33 pm

Not sure I think fish hate being on the bottom. It's just a new situation to them and they need to get used to it. I wouldn't worry too much on the not eating yet. Most fish will get over it soon enough and begin eating. If they seem too skittish, add more decor/plants/caves. They like to feel secure and more hiding places usually solves that issue. Are you sure they aren't eating after you walk away from the tanks?

Bas Pels

Post by Bas Pels » Fri May 19, 2017 1:40 am

Stress sensitive fish are better not put in the bottom row of a set up. Why? Can't say it exactly, but imagine me walking along the tanks.

Low tier fish see my pair of legs, moving, bending, while higher tier fish see my trunk coming along. Top tier fish might see my head coing along, which will not disturb them that much.

The higher the tier, the less disturbing it is

easywolf31

Post by easywolf31 » Tue May 30, 2017 12:16 pm

Lisachromis wrote:Not sure I think fish hate being on the bottom. It's just a new situation to them and they need to get used to it. I wouldn't worry too much on the not eating yet. Most fish will get over it soon enough and begin eating. If they seem too skittish, add more decor/plants/caves. They like to feel secure and more hiding places usually solves that issue. Are you sure they aren't eating after you walk away from the tanks?
Hi Lisa, they've been eating for a week but decided to move the Leleupi pair with the Frontosas in the 125G from the 55G that's on the floor and will use the 55 instead to hold a brand new 5 day old Red Jewel fry spawn in about 5-6 days. They immediately loved the new setting, last night I fixed up all Aquariums parameters, temperature, rock formations etc. Now everything looks great! Enough moving around will just let them feel comfy for a long time. My only problem was the 2 Juli Marlieri pairs. I messed that one up. When the big move happened it was not possible to notice which pair was which so I believe I ended up placing the wrong ones together in different tanks. One pair ended up ignoring each other while the other was a disaster as the larger female ended up chasing the smaller male out of the aquarium. I have not seen him in 3 weeks..

So last night I decided to put that lone female with the pair thinking perhaps a real pair will form again and the female in that tank has gone pretty much berserks. She keeps pushing the new female right in the top middle part of the 150g. She is paying more attention to the male though so I will wait a few days and see if things calm down. I hope they do calm down, I don't want to take out the nets anymore lol.

Thanks for all the advice, I will also subscribe next month, nice website.
75G Red Forest Jewels
60G Brichardis
55G Green Terrors
55G Fry
40G Fry

easywolf31

Post by easywolf31 » Tue May 30, 2017 12:19 pm

Bas Pels wrote:Stress sensitive fish are better not put in the bottom row of a set up. Why? Can't say it exactly, but imagine me walking along the tanks.

Low tier fish see my pair of legs, moving, bending, while higher tier fish see my trunk coming along. Top tier fish might see my head coing along, which will not disturb them that much.

The higher the tier, the less disturbing it is
True, I realize that now. I'm going to place a 3-4" Red Texas (who lets me pet him now lol) in there for a few days so he can relax and stop chasing and destroying the little female red texas in his tank. I doubt he will be shy. This fish reminds me of an oscar, but much smarter and less shy. I'll put him back after 5-6 days just in time to put the 10 day old Red Jewel fry in there.
75G Red Forest Jewels
60G Brichardis
55G Green Terrors
55G Fry
40G Fry

Return to “General Cichlids”