limited picture links?

Recommendations for the Cichlid Room Companion home page or error reporting
sidguppy

limited picture links?

Post by sidguppy » Tue Sep 21, 2010 6:33 am

Question:

is there a bug or a new policy that limits the number of pictures per posting or topic?

in the past there was no problem with adding a fair number of pictures in a posting.
for example, one of my own postings:
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=4490&start=20

but the last time I tried to update my Madagascar topic with a series of fresh pictures I got an error message saying that it's not allowed to put more than 3 pictures in 1 message....

bug?

or new policy?
"And he piled upon the whale's white hump the sum of all the rage and hate felt by his whole race. If his chest had been a cannon, he would have shot his heart upon it"
Jean-Luc Picard

sidguppy

Re: limited picture links?

Post by sidguppy » Tue Sep 21, 2010 6:50 am

I just tried it again; tried to start a topic on my Etroplus canarensis with a number of pictures.

the message I got in red was this:
Your message contains too many URLs. The maximum number of URLs allowed is 3.
this must be pretty recent, cause I can see for example a few topics as new as september 7th or later wich have more than 3 pictures in 1 message......

fairly new example:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=9593
4 pictures in the starters topic; date 18 september 2010....

so what happened?
"And he piled upon the whale's white hump the sum of all the rage and hate felt by his whole race. If his chest had been a cannon, he would have shot his heart upon it"
Jean-Luc Picard

Juan Artigas
Administrator

Post by Juan Artigas » Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:54 pm

No changes in policies, not sure what is the problem. How many pictures you wan to add?
Juan Miguel Artigas
Editor

The Cichlid Room Companion
http://www.cichlidae.info

sidguppy

Post by sidguppy » Thu Sep 23, 2010 4:55 pm

well, more than 3

but it's going to be bothersome if everytime I 'd like to post some pictures from my Msdagascar fishes or my canarensis; I need a mod to help me out

something's wrong, maybe with my account?
Jean-Luc Picard

Juan Artigas
Administrator

Post by Juan Artigas » Thu Sep 23, 2010 6:15 pm

Perhaps you are adding links. Each post can have up to 3 links, but as many as 15 pictures attached. That has been the policy for a long time. Could you attach your pictures please?
Juan Miguel Artigas
Editor

sidguppy

Post by sidguppy » Fri Sep 24, 2010 7:55 am

that raises more questions than answers
a picture hosted online Is a link! is there a way of adding pictures without using a link?

because the forumlimiter went off at www.imageshack.us
wich is a pretty well-known picture host.

the picture postings I did in the past were hosted on www.tinypic.com

however, tinypic these days is a banner/add-riddled spyware infected disaster, hence my switch to imageshack.

but in the past I could use that one, with links (!!) without any trouble

could it be that using imageshack is viewed s linking while using tinypic is not?

and how can you post pix on a phpBB forum without hosting them on the internet elsewhere?
Jean-Luc Picard

sidguppy

Post by sidguppy » Fri Sep 24, 2010 7:59 am

I'll show you an example.
this is one of the postings I'd wanted to put here as well:

http://www.planetcatfish.com/forum/view ... =2&t=30921

as you can see it's got a number of pictures of Etroplus canarensis
wich are hosted online at imageshack.

the forumsoftware of planetcatfish is a great deal the same as here;
but there the pics are not viewed as links

when I tried to put the very same pictures on this site, i got the limiter on my back.
because since pretty recently this site views online hosted pictures as links.

strange.
Jean-Luc Picard

Juan Artigas
Administrator

Post by Juan Artigas » Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:30 am

Are you using the [img] tag? That could be the problem. As I mentioned you can better attach the pictures to messages, I prefer that because then I host them and they are not lost, we have many great threads and it has happened often that the links are broken and they loose all value to readers, in those cases it is better to erase the whole thread as it has no value anymore and makes the page to look bad, and we have to put time into that. That is why we try to encourage as much as we can the use of attachments instead of links.
Juan Miguel Artigas
Editor

sidguppy

Post by sidguppy » Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:30 am

check, I can see that imageshack doesn't use the usual configuration, but does use url instead of img

I usually just copy n paste the whole thing and voila

let me try to put up some of my fish, and see what happens

tnx for the help!
I understand that it's bad for the forum when a whole thread turns to gibberish because the pictures disappear
;)
Jean-Luc Picard

Gurn Blanston

Post by Gurn Blanston » Fri Sep 24, 2010 2:35 pm

sidguppy wrote:check, I can see that imageshack doesn't use the usual configuration, but does use url instead of img

I usually just copy n paste the whole thing and voila

let me try to put up some of my fish, and see what happens

tnx for the help!
I understand that it's bad for the forum when a whole thread turns to gibberish because the pictures disappear
;)

I've had excellent results using photobucket.com. Plus, I always use the Image format (quote this to see code). Some image hosting sites have been less successful than others on my forum.
Regards,
Gurn

Lisachromis
Administrator

Post by Lisachromis » Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:12 am

Juan is suggesting you upload the images right onto the post itself. Underneath where you write your message is a box that says options. Beside it is upload attachment. That's what he's referring to. You can have them show as attachments on the bottom of your post, OR place them inline so they show up right in the message.

Return to “Suggestions”