Suggestions for the Cichlid Room Companion

Recommendations for the Cichlid Room Companion home page or error reporting
Marko Lenac

Re: Suggestions for the Cichlid Room Companion

Post by Marko Lenac » Sat Nov 22, 2008 1:31 pm

as this is the number one cichlid site many people come here and take all that is written very serious (99,9% it is), I would suggest to expel ex from excichlasoma in the catalog. a saw everywhere people use excichlasoma salvini. hope you will not misunderstand me...

Juan Artigas
Administrator

Post by Juan Artigas » Sat Nov 22, 2008 1:58 pm

Marko,

I do understand and have tried to do change exCichlasoma to 'Cichlasoma' as Kullander suggested, but the code as it is written nowadays does no handle the single quotes of 'Cichlasoma' and hence I had to come up with something to replace it that the code could handle, so I came up with exCichlasoma. That is explained in the genus page. I will see to go into the code again as soon as I can and resolve this matter, I have a couple if ideas for doing this.

All the best
Juan Miguel Artigas
Editor

The Cichlid Room Companion
http://www.cichlidae.info

Alex Calder

Post by Alex Calder » Fri Nov 28, 2008 2:23 pm

Juan, is your issue on the database end, the SQL end or the php side?
I very likely have a small function that could provide a solution as we had to fix this in my own application.

Alex Calder

Post by Alex Calder » Fri Nov 28, 2008 2:24 pm

I should add that in any case the trick is correctly escape and un escape the slashes.

Juan Artigas
Administrator

Post by Juan Artigas » Fri Nov 28, 2008 4:00 pm

Thanks Alex I cant recall now where is the problem just that escaping the slash did not help. I have to look into it again and see what was the problem. Probably your function may help me out. I will be back to you on this.
Juan Miguel Artigas
Editor

The Cichlid Room Companion
http://www.cichlidae.info

Alex Calder

Post by Alex Calder » Sat Nov 29, 2008 6:48 pm

Escaping characters is actually very complicated as each language handles it a little differently.
In my code I handle passing back and forth between AJAX(Javascript) and php as well as PHP to MySQL.
I wrote the AJAX to PHP and PHP to AJAX while my Database guru Mac wrote the PHP to MySQL and MySQL to PHP.
When you get the chance get back to me, I enjoy helping out when I can in the ways that I can.
You let me blog about my project with no reservations the least I can do is help you out with yours.
Speaking of which I have no clue what software you are using for yours, nordo I truly know your experience level
with web languages, if you are to it, fill me in via PM some time. I have a feeling I might be able to help you
tighten up your code.

Alex

Return to “Suggestions”