What fish can live with any cichlids?

Discussions on cichlid behaviour in nature & captivity.

Moderator: Troy

Jedimaster66

What fish can live with any cichlids?

Post by Jedimaster66 » Sat Aug 20, 2016 4:26 pm

Hello, so im thinking of getting some African cichlids, but I'm not sure if they would be aggressive with the fish I have: 5 neon tetras, 1 black tetra, 1 white or albino tetra, and 1 play.
So hopefully someone can help me according to the fish I have. Thanks.

Wyoming_Reptiles

Re: What fish can live with any cichlids?

Post by Wyoming_Reptiles » Fri Sep 09, 2016 1:28 am

I had a similar decision about 4 months ago but decided to just restart and get African cichlids only. I got mbuna and peacocks. The biggest problem and I've even noticed it in my tank is they are way more aggressive than any fish you have listed. They WILL kill those fish. So if you want African cichlids just find a new home for those fish or get a new tank. Also make sure to "overstock" cichlids it keeps the aggression down. Don't just get 2 get like 15. But overtime, with the nitrogen cycle.

Lisachromis
Administrator

Post by Lisachromis » Tue Sep 13, 2016 8:26 am

Your choice of African cichlids will not live long with the fish you mentioned. Once they get larger, the cichlids will either harass the other fish to death or kill them (using their natural behaviour - as in treating them like cichlids). Another consideration is tank size. What size tank is this?

Philippe Burnel
CichlidRoom Expert

Post by Philippe Burnel » Tue Sep 13, 2016 9:00 am

And what about water chemistry ?

Bas Pels

Post by Bas Pels » Tue Sep 13, 2016 2:14 pm

Firstly, the platy will need other water (not that warm, hard) than the tetras (warmer, soft and acidic)

depending from what cichlids you intend to keep, other fishes are possible

Lake Malawi is 90 % cichlids, thus 10 % is not. Catfishes are available
Lake Tanganjica is less cichlids, and more others. Fishes are available too

The African rivers contain perhaps 10 to 25 % cichlids (more or less similar to South America) and therefore a lot of other fishes are possible

Generally speaking, the water is them ost important, and than behaviour. Obviously, large fish tend to eat small ones, and cichlids can be agressive. But small fishes such as tetras are rarely attacked

Return to “Cichlid Behaviour”