CichlidRoom Expert

Re: New Aequidens Described

Post by Philippe Burnel » Fri May 13, 2016 2:28 pm

Thanks

Juan Artigas
Administrator

Post by Juan Artigas » Fri May 13, 2016 5:23 pm

Thanks Mark, I cannot understand what would be the difference of this new species from Aequidens diadema
Juan Miguel Artigas
Editor

The Cichlid Room Companion
http://www.cichlidae.info

DRE

Post by DRE » Fri May 13, 2016 5:51 pm

Thanks Mark, I personally need a translation :-)
Discovery consists of looking at the same thing as everyone else and thinking something different

Rico Morgenstern
CichlidRoom Expert

Post by Rico Morgenstern » Sat May 14, 2016 12:47 am

The grammatical gender of Aequidens is masculine so the specific name must be corrected to superomaculatus.
Juan Artigas wrote:Thanks Mar, I cannot understand what would be the difference of this new species from Aequidens diadema
I think the new species is closer to A. pallidus. It seems to indistinguishable from that species except for the superior lateral blotch, which is not present in that species. Another character, i.e. the continuous lateral band (vs. segmented in the posterior half) does not hold. Both A. supermaculatus and A. pallidus have a continuous band, which distinguishes them from another close relative, A. tubicen. Nevertheless, a single diagnostic character state, if consistently developed and sharply delimited (i.e. absence of transitional forms) is sufficient to distinguish species.

Aequidens diadema differs from the pallidus group in having fewer abdominal vertebrae, fewer scales in the longitudinal (E1) row and a more anteriorly positioned midlateral blotch. It is also different in general coloration (overall color more brownish, cheek ornamentation coarser and more golden, etc.). The breeding biology of the new species is not known but A. pallidus at least is a substrate brooder whereas A. diadema is a larvophilic mouthbrooder.

The new species was imported as an aquarium fish to Germany in 1999. It was called Aequidens cf. pallidus 'São Gabriel' (Gottwald 2004) or A. sp. 'Uaupes/São Gabriel' (Stawikowski & Werner 2004). But, like all its relatives, it did not become established in the hobby.

Juan Artigas
Administrator

Post by Juan Artigas » Sat May 14, 2016 1:11 am

Rico Morgenstern wrote:I think the new species is closer to A. pallidus.
Thank you Rico, I was also thinking in A. pallidus, widely distributed in the Rio Negro, The mid-lateral blotch certainly is displaced dorsally in the holotype picture and included in the diagnosis as you point out, so it is likely a common character. I wasn't aware that the species had been kept in aquarium, thanks for the data. I will include the nomenclature records and look for pictures to compare live specimens and understand the differences
Juan Miguel Artigas
Editor

The Cichlid Room Companion
http://www.cichlidae.info

Return to “Taxonomy”