Two new Apistogramma

New cichlid species and taxonomy
cichla
CichlidRoom Expert

Two new Apistogramma

Post by cichla » Sat Apr 09, 2016 9:31 am

Apistogramma eleutheria and A. flavipedunculata, two new species of dwarf cichlids from the rio Curuá on Serra do Cachimbo, Brazil. by
Varella & Britzke
Ichthyol. Explor. Freshwaters 27(1): 81-95

Abstract:
http://www.pfeil-verlag.de/04biol/pdf/ief27_1_08.pdf

DRE

Re: Two new Apistogramma

Post by DRE » Sat Apr 09, 2016 11:19 am

Great. I'd love to get a copy of the pdf for personal use.
Discovery consists of looking at the same thing as everyone else and thinking something different

MarkBreeze

Post by MarkBreeze » Sun Apr 10, 2016 6:49 pm

I have not seen the full paper yet but my guess is that these fish were originally collected along with A.kullanderi (A.sp.Gigas) by the Brindelli and Sabaj-Perez expedition to Serra do Cachimbo, Brazil, funded by the All Catfish Species Inventory. At the time they were introduced as Apistogramma “upper Curuá” collected at site 2 and Apistogramma “Treze de Maio” collected at site 4.

A. flavipedunculata: belongs to the genus Apistogramma and appears to be an undescribed member of the A. regani group (sensu Kullander, 1980). Apistogramma flavipedunculata was found only in one of the two tributaries occupied by A. kullanderi (i. e., type locality). Based on seven specimens (mature male 46.7 mm SL, immature male and five unsexed, immature specimens, 26.8-35.0 mm SL), Apistogramma flavipedunculata is easily recognized by having four anal-fin spines vs. three (n = 44) or rarely four (n = 2) in A. kullanderi, and by differences in coloration. The mature male of Apistogramma flavipedunculata lacks the coarse pattern of dark markings on head and the dark pigmentation in dorsal and anal fins described for males of A. kullanderi, and has a con- spicuous pattern of dark bars on caudal fin that are absent in mature A. kullanderi. Apistogramma kullanderi also has a conspicuous pattern of stripes on flanks, whereas the undescribed species has only two or three longitudinal series of faint markings in the abdominal region formed by a greater concentration of dark pigment on central posterior border of each scale.

A. eleutheria: A second undescribed species of the Apisto­ gramma regani group (sensu Kullander, 1980) occurs in the upper rio Treze de Maio, and is not sympatric with A. kullanderi. It matures at a much smaller size (ca. 40 mm SL), similar to other species of Apistogramma. In mature females of Apistogramma “upper Treze de Maio”, the dorsal- fin base presents dark blotches alternating with pale interspaces (vs. dorsal-fin base entirely dark in A. kullanderi), and the dark pigmentation on ventral part of body is restricted to gular region (vs. covering almost entire ventral surface of body in A. kullanderi). Males and juveniles of the upper Treze de Maio species are distinguished by hav- ing three to five longitudinal series of abdominal markings formed by greater concentration of dark pigment on central posterior border of each scale, a pattern similar to Apistogramma “upper Curuá”, but absent from A. kullanderi.
To occasionally commune with Nature, absorbing into oneself some of her tranquil moods, her sober teachings and artistic temperaments will react wholesomely on the human system.
F.J.W. Plaskitt.

Mike Wise
CichlidRoom Expert

Post by Mike Wise » Mon Apr 11, 2016 12:17 pm

Available from I.E.F. as a pdf for €10,00

Return to “Taxonomy”