New Heros Species Described

New cichlid species and taxonomy
Mark Smith
CichlidRoom Expert

New Heros Species Described

Post by Mark Smith » Sat Sep 05, 2015 5:00 pm

Staeck, W. & Schindler, I. (2015): Description of a new Heros species (Teleostei, Cichlidae) from the Rio Orinoco drainage and notes on Heros severus Heckel, 1840. Bulletin of Fish Biology, 15 (1/2): 121-136.

Heros liberifer

Juan Artigas
Administrator

Re: New Heros Species Described

Post by Juan Artigas » Sat Sep 05, 2015 5:03 pm

Juan Miguel Artigas
Editor

The Cichlid Room Companion
http://www.cichlidae.info

DRE

Post by DRE » Sun Sep 06, 2015 12:28 am

Anyone with pdf?
Discovery consists of looking at the same thing as everyone else and thinking something different

DRE

Post by DRE » Mon Sep 07, 2015 2:57 am

I understand the abstract as we now have two mouthbrooders. And that the difference between severus and liberifer is:
"Heros liberifer sp. n. can be distinguished from the syntopic Heros severus Heckel, 1840 by a distinct caudal spot, narrower lips, a bright red ins and the 4th vertical bar, which is not shortened, but extends from the anal fin base to the base of the dorsal fin."

Correct? Some interpreted this as liberifer replaces severus name wise.
Discovery consists of looking at the same thing as everyone else and thinking something different

Darrell Ullisch

Post by Darrell Ullisch » Mon Sep 07, 2015 9:03 am

No, the real severus is not a mouthbrooder, and has been found in a completely different area. See this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=18272

The Orinoco "Severum" was apparently an undescribed species that has now been described as H. liberifer.
There are two kinds of error: blind credulity and piecemeal criticism. Sound skepticism is the necessary condition for good discernment; but piecemeal criticism is an error. - Egyptian proverb

Juan Artigas
Administrator

Post by Juan Artigas » Mon Sep 07, 2015 10:42 am

It seems according to the diagnosis that the pictures we have in the CRC catalog (including those of Wolfgang Staeck) are of H. liberifer. I still have some confusion. Heros severus was described from the upper Rio Negro (In Venezuela). The new species is described from the Orinoco and (at least in the abstract) given its range there. I have nevertheless seen it in the middle Rio Negro (look at our videos by Ad Konings) syntopically with what we got identified as Heros notatus (Pictures in the catalog). Of course we know several fishes sahre tehir range in the middle/upper Rio Negro and Orinoco because of the Casicuare channel. The type locality for H. notatus is uncertain. At this point, I am not sure of the identity of any Heros ...
Juan Miguel Artigas
Editor

The Cichlid Room Companion
http://www.cichlidae.info

Mark Smith
CichlidRoom Expert

Post by Mark Smith » Thu Oct 22, 2015 3:17 pm

Anyone have a copy this description they would be willing to pass on to me?

Many thanks in advance.

Return to “Taxonomy”