Taxonomic Status of Amatitlania coatepeque

New cichlid species and taxonomy
cichla
CichlidRoom Expert

Taxonomic Status of Amatitlania coatepeque

Post by cichla » Sat Nov 22, 2014 1:14 pm

Taxonomic Status of the Lago Coatepeque Endemic Convict Cichlid Amatitlania coatepeque (Teleostei: Cichlidae)
Copeia 2014(4):633-638. 2014
As part of a revision of the cichlid genus Archocentrus, a new genus, Amatitlania, was erected comprising four species: A. nigrofasciata (the type species), A. siquia, A. kanna, and A. coatepeque. Amatitlania coatepeque is an endemic and an eponym of Lago Coatepeque in the interior highlands of western El Salvador. This species was diagnosed by a Y-shaped pattern formed by the ventral fusion of bars four and five on the body; a triple-spined, squarish, or blunt appearance of the dentigerous arm of the dentary; the presence of a posterior projection at the dorsal corner of the lower lip; the presence of a double medial-loop in the gut; sparsely uniform pigmentation of the peritoneum, and 5–5.5 scale rows from the lateral line to the origin of the dorsal fin. Here we examined the taxonomic status of A. coatepeque using molecular and morphological characters. We found that A. coatepeque is phylogenetically nested within the clade of A. nigrofasciata. Additionally, our re-examination of the reported diagnostic morphological characters failed (even in combination) to diagnose A. coatepeque. We instead found that some of those characters were highly variable within A. coatepeque and are sometimes present in members of A. nigrofasciata. Based on our results, we conclude that A. coatepeque is a junior synonym of A. nigrofasciata.

DRE

Re: Taxonomic Status of Amatitlania coatepeque

Post by DRE » Sat Nov 22, 2014 3:02 pm

Thx
Discovery consists of looking at the same thing as everyone else and thinking something different

DRE

Post by DRE » Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:53 am

Is there a pdf available anywhere?
Discovery consists of looking at the same thing as everyone else and thinking something different

Piotr Koba
CRC contributor

Re: Odp: Taxonomic Status of Amatitlania coatepeque

Post by Piotr Koba » Thu Dec 04, 2014 8:57 am

All we need now are molecular data to confirm that both A. kanna and siquia are j. synonyms for nigrofasciata as well.
Cheers
Piotr

michi tobler
CichlidRoom Expert

Post by michi tobler » Thu Dec 04, 2014 2:21 pm

I have a PDF. If you send me a message with your email, I can send it along. I would not be holding my breath for A. kanna and A. siquia. I think those are pretty solid.
Humans are not the pinnacle of evolutionary progress but only an aberrant side branch of fish evolution - Moyle

Website

Rico Morgenstern
CichlidRoom Expert

Post by Rico Morgenstern » Sat Dec 06, 2014 3:19 am

This is a sound work, very well exemplary for proposing a new synonymy. I think the conspecifity of A. coatepeque and A. nigrofasciatais clearly demonstrated. I guess that many here would also have accepted a simple statement (at least one by some 'famous' ichthyologist) of the synonymy, but such would be a quite anachronistic approach.

However, the results are in no way be transferable to A. siquia and A. kanna. The limits (both taxonomical and geographical) between A. siquia and A. nigrofasciata may have to be reassessed when more material from throughout the range (and especially from Honduras) has been examined. A. kanna is at least zoogeographically well supported, since there is a rather sharp faunal boundary between Rio Sixaola and the remaining Atlantic slope drainages of Costa Rica.

dogofwar

Post by dogofwar » Sat Dec 06, 2014 3:58 pm

There are some A. nigrofasciata "Lago Coatepeque" (AKA A. coatepeque) in the hobby from a group of fish that a hobbyist in the Chicago area collected a few years ago while he was on vacation there.

He has since lost the wild fish to a power outage but was nice enough to share some F1 offspring with a couple of folks (myself included) in the Washington, DC area. There are several folks who who keep and breed these guys in this area and CCA has included them in a couple of box swaps, rare fish auctions, etc.

The Lago Coatepeque cons differ from others I keep (about a dozen wild-type varieties) in that they're some of the least dimorphic. Females do not have any red in their bellies like most "cons" and they're not much smaller than males. They get a very nice purplish color and very thick, dark bars when breeding (which is often). Otherwise, they're not too aggressive.

Sam Borstein visited my fishroom a few weeks ago when he was here to present to CCA and I gave him a group of F2 fish to study and spread around.

Matt

DRE

Post by DRE » Sun Dec 07, 2014 12:43 pm

Love to see some photos of those!

Return to “Taxonomy”