Question on nomenclature

New cichlid species and taxonomy
Evan

Question on nomenclature

Post by Evan » Mon Oct 06, 2014 1:58 pm

First of all, I apologize if this has been asked already and please feel free to point me to the answer if it has.

My question is what is the correct way to refer to fish in Cichlasoma that don't really belong there. I commonly see it done three different ways.
1 - exCichlasoma
2 - 'Cichlasoma'
3 - Cichlasoma

I would have thought that #2 above would be the correct way but I see #1 used far more often.

Thanks in advance for helping to educate me.

Juan Artigas
Administrator

Re: Question on nomenclature

Post by Juan Artigas » Mon Oct 06, 2014 2:43 pm

Fish in Cichlasoma has to be referred as Cichlasoma. Fish previously in Cichlasoma and currently without generic assignation can be referred as you like. We use exCichlasoma in the CRC catalog as a reference but it is by no means official. Kullander (1983) who stripped Cichlasoma of most of the species in the genus suggested 'Cichlasoma' but for technical (and security) reasons we decided not to use quotes and came up with exCichlasoma instead
Juan Miguel Artigas
Editor

The Cichlid Room Companion
http://www.cichlidae.info

Willem Heijns
CichlidRoom Expert

Post by Willem Heijns » Mon Oct 06, 2014 2:48 pm

In fact, only number 3 is formally correct. The rules do not allow for generic names with (single or double) quotes around them or for names preceded by "ex".

Numbers 1 and 2 are informal indications of genera. Number 2 was proposed by Kullander in 1983 (31 years ago) for species which no longer fitted his revised Cichlasoma. Later, number 1 was added, probably because exCichlasoma better clarified this issue than 'Cichlasoma'.

Recently Říčan et al. (2008) suggested to use 'Heros' for species belonging to the tribe Heroini (the majority of the species concerned). That's what I do nowadays.
Slàinte mhath!

Uilleam

Evan

Post by Evan » Mon Oct 06, 2014 11:01 pm

Thank you both. I appreciate the information.

Return to “Taxonomy”