New species: Thorichthys panchovillai

New cichlid species and taxonomy
DRE

New species: Thorichthys panchovillai

Post by DRE » Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:26 am

Description of Thorichthys panchovillai sp. N., A new cichlid species from the Coatzacoalcos River basin, Mexico
http://www.ciclidos-mexico.com/Informat ... os-mexico/

Abstract:
Thorichthys panchovillai, new species, is described, from distinctive of the tributaries of the River Coatzacoalcos
basin, Mexico. The new species is diagnosed by a set of characters: dorsal fin rays XVI, 8 – 9; anal fin rays
VII, 6 – 7; pectoral fin rays, I, 11 – 12; total gill-rakers on the first branchial cleft 11 – 12; subopercular stain
present although weakly intensified, it exposes a notable sexual dimorphism that distinguishes it from others:
the female possess a black blotch between the fifth and sixth dorsal spine.
I'm really curious to hear what you guys think about this description.
Discovery consists of looking at the same thing as everyone else and thinking something different

Mark Smith
CichlidRoom Expert

Re: New species: Thorichthys panchovillai

Post by Mark Smith » Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:48 am

Is this the same as T. sp. "Mextico"?

Philippe Burnel
CichlidRoom Expert

Post by Philippe Burnel » Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:56 am

Thanks for the info

DRE

Post by DRE » Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:37 am

Mark Smith wrote:Is this the same as T. sp. "Mextico"?
Yes I think it is (Thorichthys sp. 'mixteco'), but I'd like to hear your views as well.
I've been calling it Thorichthys sp. 'Coatzacoalcos', which I think makes more sense to be honest. In th epaper they referr to Thorichthys sp. 'Coatzacoalcos', but I cannot read spanish so I cannot say for sure.
Discovery consists of looking at the same thing as everyone else and thinking something different

Mark Smith
CichlidRoom Expert

Post by Mark Smith » Sun Apr 23, 2017 3:33 pm

I am not sure at this point. Perhaps Juan can give his thoughts on this new description.

Bojan Dolenc

Post by Bojan Dolenc » Mon Apr 24, 2017 4:36 pm

See also here: Revista Peruana de Biología: http://revistasinvestigacion.unmsm.edu. ... 3104/11640
Change in habit, producing change of function, is the main cause of the production of change in living structure. F. Wood Jones (1953) Trends of life

fevelasco

Post by fevelasco » Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:28 am

In written correspondence with Juan Miguel, he confirmed that this is now the scientific name for what was being circulated in the hobby as Thorichthys sp. "Mixteco" and T. sp. "Coatzacoalcos". The CRC species profile includes an interesting discussion about the taxonomy of the genus Thorichthys as well as this species. http://www.cichlidae.com/species.php?id=251

Return to “Taxonomy”