Newest Books

Members can reserve books or videos prior to the Monthly Meeting

Moderators: Jombi21, TheFishGuy, Don Danko, tankmates, LewC, Hilary

Don Danko
OCA member

Newest Books

Postby Don Danko » Mon Oct 31, 2016 7:47 am

Hi Hilary,
What are some of the newest books that we have available for our members to borrow?
Thanks,
Don
Tanganyikans, other Cichlids and Catfish

Hilary

Re: Newest Books

Postby Hilary » Sun Dec 04, 2016 4:40 pm

IMG_20161129_111914000small.jpg

We bought two new books from Mike Schadle at this year's Extravaganza:
Ian Fuller's second addition of Breeding Corydoradinae Catfish adds the captive breeding details for 60 new species of corydoras.
Greg Steeves etal. Cichlids of Africa Vol 2 continues with Haplochromines including information on wild endangered species as well as aquarium husbandry of fish we can find in the hobby.
Both books can be checked out by members at our monthly meetings.

Hilary

Re: Newest Books

Postby Hilary » Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:06 am

51T+FgaR0wL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg
51T+FgaR0wL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg (30.02 KiB) Viewed 47 times

I picked up "The Curious Death of Peter Artedi" used for $6. This book was recommended by Ron Coleman and is a very enjoyable read. Although it is a work of fiction it is based on facts and the 5 autobiographies left by Carl Linnaeus. Lew has also read this book and offers: "Very interesting book. Artedi is considered the father of modern ichthyology. He was a friend/colleague of Carl Linnaeus, who came up with the system we now use for naming and classifying living things, from whose point of view the story is told. The book suggests that Linnaeus may have been responsible for Artedi's death, and that many of Linnaeus's descriptions of fish species and other scientific advances may have been stolen from him."
A good summer beach (or canal side) book. I will bring this with me to the August meeting along with anything else you ask me to bring.

Return to “Library”