Tips, Tricks and Wet Arms

Participate in the ACA monthly photo contest and get recognition! Everybody is invited

Moderators: darylh69, johnscottanthony2

Rluna

Tips, Tricks and Wet Arms

Postby Rluna » Fri Oct 14, 2016 5:35 pm

Hello, fish keepers and photographers! I've noticed that a lot of really-really great images have been coming through lately on the contest forum and I just wanted to perhaps open some dialog between photogs. Perhaps share what some of your favorites photos are that you've seen in the contests - and maybe even throw around some ideas, tips and/or tricks that we've employed ourselves to get some of our own favorite photos.

Also, if anyone that is just starting out wants to up their game but doesn't quite know where to start. This might be a good place to shoot out some questions.

Would love to know what you folks think. Would you be interested in participating in this type of thread?

carlt54

Re: Tips, Tricks and Wet Arms

Postby carlt54 » Sat Oct 15, 2016 6:23 am

What camera do you use? I use a Canon Rebel/1200D. Lens used are a 40mm macro 2.8, 50mm 1.4, 60mm macro 2.8 and the kit lens 18-55mm which I think does a pretty good job. Flashes are Altura wireless(I use 2 of them).
OCA Board Member
Bowl Show Czar

Rluna

Postby Rluna » Sat Oct 15, 2016 3:23 pm

Hi Carl, that's interesting that you use two flashes. I just watched a video on FB of Aquamojo shooting for Segrest Farms. He uses two flashes as well - one on top of the tank and one on the bottom. He has some great work!

As for me, I use three fluorescent fixtures on top of the tank that I am shooting and also a remote SB800 placed in between them. I find that the fluorescents help to light some of the darker areas of the tank since my flash fall off is quite exaggerated in water. My camera is a Nikon D7100 and I find that it does a really good job at recording texture in the darker areas. As for lenses. If I am a few feet away from the tank using the remote flash, I use my Nikkor 55-300mm AF 4.5 lens. When I am up close I use a Nikkor 40mm macro 2.8 which may be the same one that you are using, and I also have my beloved Nikkor 16-85mm 3.5 lens which does very well at a mid-range distance - that is - when I am not right up against the glass. This is the one that I've been using the most of lately since the 40mm tends to blur the dynamic parts of the fish due to the aperture and the fact that I keep it loaded with a 0.45X super wide angle macro lens. When I first started shooting fish I was mostly focused on shooting like I would a normal portrait session. Focusing on the eyes and letting the depth of field fall off from there. However, as Aquamojo pointed out to me - it's very limiting when shooting fish. So, now I try to get as much light into the tank as possible and keep the fish interested in my presence. It takes a lot of patience indeed. I have a remote shutter release that I may employ on my next shoot as well.

carlt54

Postby carlt54 » Tue Oct 18, 2016 8:02 am

RLUNA, I had seen that vid with Mo and Seacrest. I never thought of using one on the bottom but I have used 2 on top with 2 styro boxes to help with the lighting. I just set up a 10 gal just for that purpose, to illuminate top and bottom and use as my subject,G balaznii.
OCA Board Member
Bowl Show Czar

Rluna

Postby Rluna » Tue Oct 18, 2016 12:58 pm

Awesomeness Carl. I can't wait to see the results! I've got a few 3, 5 and 10 gallons that I keep Kili's and Bettas in. I think I'm gonna try to do the same thing. Unfortunately though, I've been overwhelmed with business for the past 45 days and I have a Wedding to shoot in Charleston, SC this weekend, so I may not have a chance to even get it done in time to post for the October Contest.

Make sure you indicate which images you use this technique with or even make a second post with that in mind. I think the red stick is a great idea too. I have used a second person to stir up some of the fish while shooting for one of my clients here in JAX, but it would be much easier to edit out a red line than it would be to edit out an entire hand or a neutral toned stick.

Good Luck!

carlt54

Postby carlt54 » Wed Oct 19, 2016 1:29 pm

So far the only action shots that I took were during water changes. When the water level was low enough and camera set up,lights ect. I would throw in a few pellets and try to get some shots of them jumping or gulping food. Here are some examples. The resolution in some of the pics are low due to the fact I lost the CR2's.
Attachments
IMG_7717__1476902305_45.22.8.226.jpg
IMG_7712__1476902132_45.22.8.226.jpg
IMG_7710__1476901959_45.22.8.226.jpg
IMG_4932.jpg
12821524_10205888754245375_4479645811020721478_n.jpg
OCA Board Member
Bowl Show Czar

Rluna

Postby Rluna » Thu Oct 20, 2016 6:11 pm

Awe man, I love these Carl! Especially the Sevrum shot. Must give this a shot myself. I think the water adds a bit of motion to the overall image which is much needed sometimes. Fantastic examples! As soon as I get a spare hour, I will get some shooting in. I'm transitioning my peacock tank over to a Tangynikian tank and the Julies do some fantastic swimming. Straight up - straight down, upside down, sideways - very interesting little guys.

Can't wait to see more Carl! Thanks for sharing!

Return to “Photo Contest”