March Winners announced!!!!

Participate in the ACA monthly photo contest and get recognition! Everybody is invited

Moderators: darylh69, johnscottanthony2

johnscottanthony2

March Winners announced!!!!

Postby johnscottanthony2 » Wed Apr 13, 2016 10:49 pm

See the video on Youtube now!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P45J4jK ... e=youtu.be

1st place- Juan Miguel Artigas Azas,
2nd place Phillipe Burnell,
3d Place Phillipe Burnell,
Honorable Mention to DSWells and Jcunningham
ACA Club Liaison, Speaker Programs
Founding Member of Cichlid Club of York PA
King and Queen Cichlids President- http://www.kingandqueencichlids.com/

Lisachromis
Administrator

Re: March Winners announced!!!!

Postby Lisachromis » Thu Apr 14, 2016 11:03 am

Great way to announce the winners. Great job!

carlt54

Postby carlt54 » Thu Apr 14, 2016 2:41 pm

I would like to know how the judges came to their decision on the winners and offer up any critique of my photo's.
OCA Board Member
Bowl Show Czar

deeda

Postby deeda » Thu Apr 14, 2016 2:48 pm

I also enjoyed the winning photo presentation, nicely done and congratulations to all the March winners.
Dee

OCA member thru 11/2017

Patricio Miguel

Postby Patricio Miguel » Thu Apr 14, 2016 2:51 pm

I would like to know why were my photos deleted.
Thank you
Patrício Miguel[/color]

Aquamojo

Postby Aquamojo » Thu Apr 14, 2016 8:07 pm

Patricio Miguel wrote:I would like to know why were my photos deleted.
Thank you

I was not aware that any photos were deleted. April is open. I hope to see them there.
"Some days you have the hobby. Other days the Hobby has YOU!"

American Cichlid Association 2010 Chairman
American Cichlid Association Publicity Chairman

Aquamojo

Postby Aquamojo » Thu Apr 14, 2016 8:24 pm

carlt54 wrote:I would like to know how the judges came to their decision on the winners and offer up any critique of my photo's.

I don't have your exact scores in font of me as I am on my IPad. I thought you had some nice shots. You got some great action shots. I think the first and third were your best. Overall your levels were off causing a loss in detail in the shadows. Were they shot available light? Two ways you can improve this: while shooting you need to get light underneath or below..either a flash or even a reflector. While post processing manually adjust the shadow and mid tone a little to increase detail. The BEST way to accomplish this is to shoot in RAW format. Very forgiving for spot corrections.

All three judges had score sheets that covered everything from composition to contrast, color, focus, etc. we took the average of three and that determined winners. If you want to talk further, happy to do it.

dswells

Postby dswells » Thu Apr 14, 2016 10:46 pm

Nicely done everyone and congratulations to the winners! Lots of awesome photos last month. I would expect to see even more and better photos for April!

Also, thanks to the judges for giving their time to do this and for whoever produced the video. That's a really cool way to announce the winners.

carlt54

Postby carlt54 » Fri Apr 15, 2016 7:28 am

Aquamojo wrote:
carlt54 wrote:I would like to know how the judges came to their decision on the winners and offer up any critique of my photo's.

I don't have your exact scores in font of me as I am on my IPad. I thought you had some nice shots. You got some great action shots. I think the first and third were your best. Overall your levels were off causing a loss in detail in the shadows. Were they shot available light? Two ways you can improve this: while shooting you need to get light underneath or below..either a flash or even a reflector. While post processing manually adjust the shadow and mid tone a little to increase detail. The BEST way to accomplish this is to shoot in RAW format. Very forgiving for spot corrections.

All three judges had score sheets that covered everything from composition to contrast, color, focus, etc. we took the average of three and that determined winners. If you want to talk further, happy to do it.

Thank you for your input. I am using a Canon 1200D DSLR shooting in RAW format, lens I used were a 40mm macro and a 18-55mm kit lens. I must admit I am lacking in lighting. I use 2 overhead wireless flashes and I also have 2 large softboxes that I just started experimenting with. As for post processing I use the Canon software and Windows 10 photo editor. If and when you get a chance I would like to see the scoring. Thank you for taking the time to answer.
OCA Board Member
Bowl Show Czar

Aquamojo

Postby Aquamojo » Fri Apr 15, 2016 11:57 am

carlt54 wrote:
Aquamojo wrote:

Thank you for your input. I am using a Canon 1200D DSLR shooting in RAW format, lens I used were a 40mm macro and a 18-55mm kit lens. I must admit I am lacking in lighting. I use 2 overhead wireless flashes and I also have 2 large softboxes that I just started experimenting with. As for post processing I use the Canon software and Windows 10 photo editor. If and when you get a chance I would like to see the scoring. Thank you for taking the time to answer.

Email me at aquamojo@modevlin.com I only have my detail, but happy to share it with you.

Regarding your shooting. If you want...and this is totally up to you...email me the RAW file and let me process it for you. It sounds like you have ll the tools to take the photo. My first inclination would be to have you take one of the softboxes and place it below the tank line. It doesn't have to be pointed directly up, The spill off the light would/should illuminate the bottom of the fish. In this case you actually have too much light above. The sensor on your camera over compensated and and choked the shadow area. Did you use the RAW plug in processor?

johnscottanthony2

Postby johnscottanthony2 » Sat Apr 16, 2016 9:21 am

Thank you

Patrico I am in charge of running the contest and unaware any of your photos were deleted. We do have moderators and etc who are helping with the forum and the contest. I will send out a group email asking them to notify me whenever a photo is deleted and "why" so i have record of it and can respond with a informative response. The only reasons for something to be deleted is if it was submitted in the wrong format, or if you submitted more than 3 entries. With that said I agree with Mo- please enter our April contest. We look forward to your entries

johnscottanthony2

Postby johnscottanthony2 » Sat Apr 16, 2016 9:27 am

dswells wrote:Nicely done everyone and congratulations to the winners! Lots of awesome photos last month. I would expect to see even more and better photos for April!

Also, thanks to the judges for giving their time to do this and for whoever produced the video. That's a really cool way to announce the winners.

Thanks DSWells and congrats on being in the top 5!! I created the video and will continue to find new and exciting ways to announce our winners. We also have some companies interested in donating some prizes so the contest will only get better and bigger. Thanks again for getting involved and submitting your amazing photos!!

johnscottanthony2

Postby johnscottanthony2 » Sat Apr 16, 2016 9:33 am

Could all our top 5 winners please private message me your mailing addresses so we can send your awards out. Thank you!

darylh69

Postby darylh69 » Sat May 14, 2016 9:47 am

Thank you

If any entries were deleted, it would be because they were hosted elsewhere and not attached to the post.

The following warning appeared at least three times in March:
Juan Artigas wrote:Juan Artigas wrote:
Please remember that all of your pictures to be considered to the contest have to be attachments to your posts, not links from other sites. Those pictures linked will be removed. I appreciate your understanding.

Return to “Photo Contest”