Building the filtration system was similar to building the tank, just on a smaller scale. Assembling
the biomedia chamber.
Assembling the main box.
The completed unit. The biomedia chamber sits on an ‘eggcrate’ shelf supported by acrylic ledges and vertical
supports in the middle. The area partitioned off was originally to be used for plants. I did that for a while, but
decided it wasn’t effective enough to continue with it. The eggcrate above the biomedia will hold the drip tray.
The door just cuts down on noise and evaporation. I started out thinking I would use the cheap plastic drawers
for drip trays, but decided to make my own instead.
Detail of the top cut out to accommodate the biomedia chamber.
Here’s the drawer. I added the ¾” lip to hold the edges of the prefilter pad in place to reduce bypass.
View of the vertical supports. Bioballs weigh very little, but eggcrate is very flimsy stuff.
The drain at the end will be used to drain the sump off to the basement. A fill hose will be attached to
return staged change water. Shot of the drain.
U-channel holding the dividers.
Complete with light and new drawer in place. I originally used an air pump to pump air into the
chamber, but eventually decided that wasn’t worth keeping up with.
On to the stand.