two jewels and a jd. might have been a mistake

Discussion about cichlids from Africa other than Rift Lake
VonMozz

two jewels and a jd. might have been a mistake

Post by VonMozz » Sat Jan 31, 2015 11:22 pm

hey guys, so i have a 90 g tank with two jewels. ive had them since the summer. i beleive theyre a pair although i havent really been able to sex them.. and i havent noticed any spawning or eggs. but up until now they have been a very dull brown yellow. and they were alwayss hiding, unless it was feeding time i basicaly never saw them swimming around. so i added i jd yesterday. not completely sure on the sex yet hes relatively small. a tiny bit bigger than the 'male' jewel. almost instantly the pair colored up. the 'male' being the brighter than i thought he could even get. but the problem is all he has done is chase the jd around. before i put him in i did some scaping, a day or two earlier added more rocks and cave-ish territories and they have confined him to a long plant, up against the glass. at first they were lip locking over one spot but i guess the jd gave up. the awesome thing though is now the jewels are usually swimming about. i feel kinda bad for the new guy. i dont want his life to be constantly being chased around. should i would wait i couple more days let him settle in.. or was this a bad idea and i should start looking to rehome? or maybe add a somewhat large group of dither fish? or any other fish? cuz im liking seeing the jewels out of hiding. any advise would be awesome!

Return to “Other African Cichlids”