Breeding Myaka myaka

Discussion about cichlids from Africa other than Rift Lake
Adrian Indermaur
CichlidRoom Expert

Breeding Myaka myaka

Post by Adrian Indermaur » Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:30 am

Hy everyone,

I have a group of 7 Myakas (2/5 or 3/4) and they are quite big (8-10 cm) The thing is that I cant seem to get them to spawn, so I'm asking here if people who breed this species could help me out with the conditions that were beneficial to this goal.

thanks

Adrian
Greetings from Basel

dogofwar

Re: Breeding Myaka myaka

Post by dogofwar » Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:08 pm

I have a group also about that size. And they seem to be going through the motions. But no mouthfulls.

I think that they need to be alone or only with really peaceful fish in order to spawn.

I have had good luck in spawning Saratherodon linnellii in a 2'x2'x1' tank with light covering of sand gravel, weekly 30% water changes and twice daily feedings of NLS (pellets).

Heavier feedings of the linnelli + a bigger than usual water change usually result in spawns.

Good luck!
Matt

Adrian Indermaur
CichlidRoom Expert

Post by Adrian Indermaur » Sun Jan 22, 2012 6:41 am

Hy Matt,

so I understand they are courting but not spawning ? Same with me, and I also tried a lot of variations (softer/harder water, temperature, food, light). What water parameters has your water since the S. linnellii spawn, it can not be too wrong :D. The thing is that I find a lot of contradicting information in the net on the lake. Zuzanna was there in december and she will be back soon so i hope she can give me some hints on the lakes water and the seasonality of the fishes behaviour.

Good luck also!

Adrian
Greetings from Basel

dogofwar

Post by dogofwar » Sun Jan 22, 2012 3:16 pm

I keep both the linnelli and myaka (separately) in local tap water (pH 7.4; medium hard). I keep the linnellii at room temp in my fishroom (~74F in the winter) and the myaka a bit warmer (~78F). Warm water changes seem to lead to courting.

What's interesting is that when the linnellii spawn, only one female ends up holding (vs. a bunch like peacocks or haps).

My linnelli are probably 4-5 years old. They really didn't kick into spawning mode until a couple years ago. Maybe more time!

Good luck!
Matt

Piotr Koba
CRC contributor

Post by Piotr Koba » Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:30 am

I've read that Barombis tend to have loose pair bonds. Jerome S. (westafrica) observed that his S. pindu male spawns with one female only, even though there are/were more available in the tank.

By the way guys, you might want to share some photos of these gems here? They are still quite rare; always nice to see a qood quality picture of 'em. And good luck!
Cheers
Piotr

Tim Craig

Post by Tim Craig » Tue Feb 21, 2012 7:09 am

I've had holding females, but was unable to get the fry. I've recently moved the group to a 30B from the 6' long tank they were in before. Hopefully it'll be easier to extract female and fry in this sparsely rocked tank. All males require is a flat spawning rock. The male in the video claimed the rock as soon as I added it. Myaka video
Tim Craig

Piotr Koba
CRC contributor

Post by Piotr Koba » Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:28 pm

Breeding males look so beautiful. Thanks for sharing :D
Cheers
Piotr

DRE

Post by DRE » Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:06 pm

Is this in breeding colors or are they always halfway colored like this?
Discovery consists of looking at the same thing as everyone else and thinking something different

Tim Craig

Post by Tim Craig » Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:13 pm

DRE wrote:Is this in breeding colors or are they always halfway colored like this?
Breeding color, but they're often breeding. Sometimes just one male, sometimes both, and different intensities.
Tim Craig

DRE

Post by DRE » Tue Jul 10, 2012 5:46 pm

Beautiful species.
Discovery consists of looking at the same thing as everyone else and thinking something different

Alleycat

Post by Alleycat » Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:34 am

Tim Craig wrote:
DRE wrote:Is this in breeding colors or are they always halfway colored like this?
Breeding color, but they're often breeding. Sometimes just one male, sometimes both, and different intensities.

Good luck Tim with this group ... Let's talk some more about them on Saturday night. After talking to Greg Steeves and seeing his videos they're high on my bucket list!

Tim Craig

Post by Tim Craig » Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:46 am

Alleycat wrote:
Tim Craig wrote:

Good luck Tim with this group ... Let's talk some more about them on Saturday night. After talking to Greg Steeves and seeing his videos they're high on my bucket list!
Wish I could get some fry. They're proving to be a challenge. Yesterday I was convinced that I had a female holding and tried to net her out. She spit what she had in her mouth and it turned out to be food. Now I hadn't fed them since the day before, so why is she holding and mouthing food? Possible maybe that she held food for fry and that her buccal cavity conceals that? Don't know. If she truly had fry, why didn't she spit those also? That would've been helpful. :lol: More than once when I've suspected one may be holding, I net and attempt to strip them all, but nothing. I've made crevices for fry to hide in hopes that they'll release in the tank, and again, nothing. I'll keep at it.
Tim Craig

Return to “Other African Cichlids”