Hemichromis ID?

Discussion about cichlids from Africa other than Rift Lake
nicktc

Hemichromis ID?

Post by nicktc » Sat Jan 14, 2012 11:34 pm

Picked up a bunch of wild caught, labeled as hemichromis cristatus.

Fishes are betwwen 2-3inches right now.
Have been comparing images from the web, and they do not look very much like the cristatus.

Still in stressed color, but it can be seen clearly, the females doesn't have any facial spots (regular facial visit to the beauty salon, I guess :lol: )

I have attached a pic, hop it helps with the ID.

Thanks

Rico Morgenstern
CichlidRoom Expert

Re: Hemichromis ID?

Post by Rico Morgenstern » Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:01 am

nicktc wrote:Have been comparing images from the web, and they do not look very much like the cristatus.
This is quite correct, these fish are definitely not H. cristatus. This species is usually more deep-bodied; it has a pointed snout and a different color pattern including a lateral blotch which is distinctly edged with yellow and often also surrounded by iridescent blue spots.

In all probability, your fish are H. guttatus or a closely related form. It is yet to be determined whether the complex around H. guttatus and H. letourneuxi comprises only one widespread and geographically variable species (which then would take the oldest available name H. guttatus) or several taxa. Some forms are clearly distinguishable, but there are others which seem to bridge the differences.

Some years ago I had a fish which was sold as H. sp. Bangui (see attached picture), and my attemps to determine them resulted in that they are somewhat between H. guttatus and H. letourneuxi in certain characters.
Hemichromis4.JPG
It would be great to have more pictures of your fish, perhaps you can take some shots when they assume breeding coloration.

And, as they are said to be wildcaught, are you able to find out their provenance?

nicktc

Post by nicktc » Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:31 am

The importer showed me the invoice which state that those are hemichromis cristatus digyha. (did not hlep much in my attempt to dig out more information)

After they have settled in, they are mostly showing red on the fins at this point of time.

The males are having blue spots on their face and and body (no much on the body)
Female doesn't have any spot on their faces and very little spots on their bodies.
Con species aggression is surprisng low for now.

a.d.wood

Post by a.d.wood » Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:46 am

nicktc wrote:The importer showed me the invoice which state that those are hemichromis cristatus digyha. (did not hlep much in my attempt to dig out more information)

On many occasions the actual fish received and paperwork never match up. I remeber one occasion where I ordered one species of Apistogramma (wild shipment from Brazil), the import box label declared a specific species was enclosed (not what I had ordered), the import paper work specified that it was neither the species declared on the box label or what I had ordered and finally when I got to the actual imported fish it was a completely different species to what had been specified so far on my order, the box label or the paperwork (at least it was the same genus!!).

Andrew

nicktc

Post by nicktc » Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:46 am

Here is an update pic of one of the male.

nicktc

Post by nicktc » Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:14 pm

a few more pics.

sub-dominant male

Possible pair

Male

Female

Rico Morgenstern
CichlidRoom Expert

Post by Rico Morgenstern » Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:43 am

Very nice fish. I like those natural forms much more than our domesticated 'Aquarium lifalili' or 'Blue Neon' or whatever.

In some respects, your fish, paticularly the female, resemble the forms introduced as H. paynei into the hobby in the 1980s, e.g. in the rather high position of the flank blotch and the golden markings on the sides of the head. However, the males of those had the red color restricted to the lower parts and fin bases, the soft dorsal and caudal fin were emerald green and virtually without blue dots. These fishes came from Sierra Leone and Liberia and were identified as H. paynei by several authors including the original describer, Loiselle, himself. If this is correct, H. paynei would certainly fall within the variation of the H. guttatus/letourneuxi complex and it's status as a valid species would depend as well from the answer to the question if the different forms can be sharply defined. This all is currently far from being clear, and we should not forget the possibility that H. paynei is a completely different species unknown in the hobby.

nicktc

Post by nicktc » Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:53 pm

Hi Rico,

Thanks for the input.

By the way, they ave just bred and here is a picture of them with the babies.

nicktc

Post by nicktc » Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:54 pm

nicktc

Post by nicktc » Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:49 pm

I have cleared the other fishes in my tank and added a sponge to the inlet of my OHF.

The parent fishes are obviously more at ease now.

Lisachromis
Administrator

Post by Lisachromis » Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:14 pm

Very cool. I always love shots of cichlids caring for fry.

nicktc

Post by nicktc » Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:41 pm

Its almost 2 weeks, to be exact 13 days since the eggs were laid. :)

Parents still guarding their brood zealously.

Return to “Other African Cichlids”