More Red Forest Jewel Fry, Help

Discussion about cichlids from Africa other than Rift Lake
easywolf31

More Red Forest Jewel Fry, Help

Post by easywolf31 » Wed May 17, 2017 5:41 pm

Hey all, so I currently have a nice Red Forest Jewel (Hemichromis Lifalili) pair in a 75 gallon aquarium with about 300 fry now (there seemed to be around 6-700 in the start). The fry are 10 days old now and about 5-6mm long with a black stripe showing in the middle of their bodies. I have a problem though, the female seems to be getting quite fat again and is possibly pregnant. I'm getting a 40G empty tank tomorrow night and have the filters etc already. What to do, what to do? Can I or should I siphon the babies with a 25 foot long aqueon water hose into the 40g? When to do it though? Before or after the new spawn? And what the heck am I going to do with all these babies LOL. I thought they'd stop spawning after a batch, dang. Help lol.
20170508_183651.jpg
150G Mpimbwes, Marlieris, Leleupi, Regani
140G Blue Dolphins, Y.Labs, Burundis
Dickfieldis, Leleupi, Olivaceous, Daffodil
125G Kigomas, Mobas, Leleupis
75G Red Forest Jewels
60G Red Texas & Green Texas
60G Brichardis
55G Green Terrors
55G Fry
40G Fry

Bas Pels

Re: More Red Forest Jewel Fry, Help

Post by Bas Pels » Thu May 18, 2017 2:10 am

Where do you think you could go with 700, or even 70 Hemichromis lilifali? Most shops would not want them

They are good parents, and I don't think the eggs will be leid within a few weeks, but it would be best not to raise too many Hemichromis.

That being said, even if there would be a market for 700 of them, it would be better if these came from more than 1 pair, in ordere to prevent inbreeding. So, if you think you can sell some, go ahead and raise some. 30. Perhaps 40. Your 40 gallon (160 liter) tank should suffice for this mumber to 4 or 5 length (1.5 to 2 inches)

I would, however, wait a while with seperating them from the parents. After all, seeing them raise their fry is nice to watch, the fry might need the experience by inprenting and lastly - you would want to raise the best ones. Seeing the school reduce to some 100 in the next 2 weeks will make that a lot easier

easywolf31

Post by easywolf31 » Thu May 18, 2017 7:04 am

Right, btw, in the beginning there was about 700, now perhaps 2-300, everyday there seems to be less, what happens to them?
20170517_230637.jpg
20170517_230507.jpg
75G Red Forest Jewels
60G Brichardis
55G Green Terrors
55G Fry
40G Fry

Bas Pels

Post by Bas Pels » Thu May 18, 2017 7:20 am

I think some die because their genetics just is not right - they miss something important. Others might be eaten if a predator is in the tank

Darrell Ullisch

Post by Darrell Ullisch » Thu May 18, 2017 10:12 am

It should also be noted that those are not lifalili, which is red on the upper half of the body and bright yellow on the bottom half. Look at the photos in the species listings on this website. These are likely just a very nice strain of Hemichromis guttatus.

some fry don't get enough food, and get weak and die. The others will cannibalize them, so there are no bodies to find.
There are two kinds of error: blind credulity and piecemeal criticism. Sound skepticism is the necessary condition for good discernment; but piecemeal criticism is an error. - Egyptian proverb

easywolf31

Post by easywolf31 » Thu May 18, 2017 10:48 am

They are Lifalili's trust me...camera was shooting out light colored photos this morning..
Pair 1_resized.jpg
P1020914_resized.JPG
20170425_005040_resized_1.jpg
75G Red Forest Jewels
60G Brichardis
55G Green Terrors
55G Fry
40G Fry

Philippe Burnel
CichlidRoom Expert

Post by Philippe Burnel » Thu May 18, 2017 1:58 pm

Here is lifalili (Moanda)

Hemichromis_lifalili1.jpg
Hemichromis_lifalili1.jpg (76.1 KiB) Viewed 342 times

easywolf31

Post by easywolf31 » Fri Jun 09, 2017 12:51 pm

Philippe Burnel wrote:Here is lifalili (Moanda)

Hemichromis_lifalili1.jpg
Thank you, yes I was wrong for sure. I subscribed to the Cichladae website (Cichid forum companion) and saw all the nice pictures by Anton Lamboj and others for Hemichromis species. Mine don't look like any of them though, but probably some selective breeding with Guttatus species I guess. They're face looks more like that of Hemichromis sp. 'ankasa' though.. I never knew there was so many Hemichromis species, this is definitely my favorite species now.

It's too bad there are so many websites like Wikipedia, etc confusing people about Lifali and Bimaculatus.
75G Red Forest Jewels
60G Brichardis
55G Green Terrors
55G Fry
40G Fry

easywolf31

Post by easywolf31 » Fri Jun 09, 2017 1:08 pm

Bas Pels wrote:Where do you think you could go with 700, or even 70 Hemichromis lilifali? Most shops would not want them

They are good parents, and I don't think the eggs will be leid within a few weeks, but it would be best not to raise too many Hemichromis.

That being said, even if there would be a market for 700 of them, it would be better if these came from more than 1 pair, in ordere to prevent inbreeding. So, if you think you can sell some, go ahead and raise some. 30. Perhaps 40. Your 40 gallon (160 liter) tank should suffice for this mumber to 4 or 5 length (1.5 to 2 inches)

I would, however, wait a while with seperating them from the parents. After all, seeing them raise their fry is nice to watch, the fry might need the experience by inprenting and lastly - you would want to raise the best ones. Seeing the school reduce to some 100 in the next 2 weeks will make that a lot easier
Ha 700! Yes for sure you were right. I'm now reading my posts and rethinking lol. I managed to save and keep about 60 of the first batch in a 40 gallon aquarium. They are 5 weeks old today and about .75" long to 1" for the bigger ones. They look like Cardinal tetras or something, but with a black line in the middle that is starting to go away slowly. They are voracious eaters! I feed them about 3-4 times a day, they don't stop.

In my 75 Gallon I've decided to just let the 500? 15 day old fry live with their parents as to not flood the market, cause inbreeding and more reasons. I may move some in an empty 55 Gallon at some point.

I think it's enough Jewels for now, do you think I bring down the temp soon to about 75 from 78 now perhaps to discourage them from breeding again?
Or even colder perhaps. I also noticed they raised this batch with much more success, and this batch started swimming freely much quicker than the previous one, they were even feeding near the surface after 2-3 days. These ones are always completely seperated and spread out all over the aquarium when feeding, the previous batch would always move together. It's funny how the father chases for a few mins the female if she catches one and does not spit it out.

This is what my 75 Gallon looks like now if anyone is curious:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jLQ-nSi1gQ
75G Red Forest Jewels
60G Brichardis
55G Green Terrors
55G Fry
40G Fry