Chromidotilapia kingsleyae spawning sequence

Discussion about cichlids from Africa other than Rift Lake
Darrell Ullisch

Chromidotilapia kingsleyae spawning sequence

Post by Darrell Ullisch » Sat Jan 28, 2017 1:19 pm

A couple of years ago, I got 6 of these that were very small, not more than a few months old. Last year I finally figured out that I had 4 males and 2 females (very shy in a single species tank, they hid anytime I was around). I sold 3 males and a female, and kept the best looking pair, which was moved to a 125 with some Heros and a couple other odds n' ends. They became a bit less shy, but the male was rather ornery, and occasionally chased the female aggressively. However, sometimes he also defended her from some of the other fish, so I did not intervene.

I was disappointed that they hadn't spawned in the species tank, and really didn't expect anything now due to the other fish. However, a few weeks ago, I spotted the female picking up eggs to brood them! As soon as she had them all, the male chased her off, and she found a hiding spot near the surface, under the HOB output spouts. She stayed there for a few days, then after about 3-4 days she was out feeding with the other fish again. I assumed the fry/eggs were eaten.

Yesterday, I saw her breeding tube extended, and she was cleaning the same log they had spawned on last time. I grabbed my camera (wish I had video available) and took a few pictures of egg laying and the female brooding. The male chased her to a hiding spot again. Once she's there, he seems to be content, and has occasionally chased off the male nanoluteus who likes to torture her. I have been shutting down my fishroom, so I'm not prepared to deal with fry. But if she is still holding Monday morning, I will strip her, as they should be wigglers by then.

Anyway, here's a few shots.
kingsleyaeF045.JPG
female with tube visible
kingsleyaeM08tube (2).JPG
male with tube visible
kingsleyaesp10 (2).JPG
pair laying eggs
kingsleyaesp17 (2).JPG
female picking up eggs
There are two kinds of error: blind credulity and piecemeal criticism. Sound skepticism is the necessary condition for good discernment; but piecemeal criticism is an error. - Egyptian proverb

Darrell Ullisch

Re: Chromidotilapia kingsleyae spawning sequence

Post by Darrell Ullisch » Sat Jan 28, 2017 1:25 pm

Couple more shots.
kingsleyaesp21 (2).JPG
Female with a mouthful, more to pick up!
kingsleyaeM07 (2).JPG
Nice shot of the male
kingsleyaeF025.JPG
female prespawning, showing bars
There are two kinds of error: blind credulity and piecemeal criticism. Sound skepticism is the necessary condition for good discernment; but piecemeal criticism is an error. - Egyptian proverb

deeda

Re: Chromidotilapia kingsleyae spawning sequence

Post by deeda » Sat Jan 28, 2017 3:08 pm

Congratulations on the recent spawn!!

Hopefully you'll get some nice fry and be able to share them.
Dee

OCA member thru 11/2017

Return to “Other African Cichlids”