cloudy eye

Q&A about diseases and their cure

Moderator: Pam Chin

riftlake73

cloudy eye

Post by riftlake73 » Thu May 25, 2006 11:25 pm

Pam,

I have two fish (in different tanks) show the same symptoms.
They initialy get a white speck in the center of their eye. It then starts to get cloudy. One of the fish's eye has not ruptured and is blind in that eye.

Injury? Parasite? Bacteria? Fungus?

I doubled the salt level after the first fish's eye ruptured. That seems to have slowed down the progression in the second fish. Any idea on how to irradicate this problem? Tank mates don't have the problem just a single fish in two tanks.

I am sure that I have cross contaminated the tanks with a net or python.

I appreciate you help.

Scott
So many species. So little space for additional tanks.

Pam Chin
Site Admin

Post by Pam Chin » Fri May 26, 2006 7:25 pm

Hey Riftlake,

Unfortunately the eye is one part that a fish can not regenerate; like fins or scales. Injury to the eyes often causes blindness, or a film covers the eyes. It is nearly impossible to reverse the damage. It could be any of your suspects..... but since you only have one fish in each tank, I would have to lean towards injury. You have treated this as most hobbyists would, changing your water and adding salt. You just need to make sure that it doesn't get infected and turn into a bacterial problem. Although it can be "unsightly" fish adapt to being able to see out of one eye quite well. And of course keep an eye on your other fish to confirm that it is not contagious.
Cichlid Power!
Pam

Cichlid Room Companion
Best Cichlid Site Ever
http://www.cichlidae.com