Hi Pam. I have gotten good advice from you in the past about an African cichlid tank I was setting up and I have now decided to try CA cichlids. I have a question about how appropriate the stocking plan/tank sizes are for the below. I am looking for one of 3 different sized tanks: 75 gallon, 90 gallon, 120 gallon long. I would really like to try one of the following:
1. One ex-Cichlasoma pearsei, one firemouth cichlid and a shoal of wild-type swordtails.
2. Just the one ex-Cichlasoma pearsei and shoal of swordtails.
3. A colony of firemouths and a shoal of the swordtails above (this is probably the one I am least excited about because I really like the pearsei).
4. Finally there is a midas cichlid locally at a fish specialty store that I interact with when I go in and he is really tugging at my heart strings.
My questions are:
1. Which of the tanks would be best for each of the stocking plans if I overfiltrate and have regular water changes?
2. Do these ideas put compatible species together?
Any suggestions or other input would be helpful.