Tropheus: bloat

Q&A about Tropheus and Petrochromis

Moderator: Pam Chin

Tropheus: bloat

Postby Pam Chin » Tue Dec 02, 2003 1:13 pm

Dear Pam,

My Tropheus duboisi has bloat.. He hasn't been eating for about 5 days now. I did a 15% water change everyday and it's not getting better. So, I just added 3 tablets of Clout to my 33 gallon. I have noticed that it has white feces. I can't believe I suddenly have bloat for no reason. Is it because it doesn't have enough fresh algae to eat? I have an algae eater in the tank, should I take it out? I also have some Pseudotropheus elongatus in with them.

Thanks, Dan
Pam Chin
Site Admin

Postby Pam Chin » Tue Dec 02, 2003 1:13 pm

Dear Dan,

Bummer, I hate it when a Tropheus gets bloat. Whether you can cure it or not, really depends on how early you catch it. I would do more than 15% water changes, 40 or 50% would be better. And if possible remove the fish to a tank by itself. For two reasons: Less stress, if it is housed by itself, say in a 38 liters (10 gallon) tank, and it will take less medication than trying to treat a 110 liters (30 gallon) tank. Tropheus can be tough to work with, and I have probably killed more than anyone! They don't do well in community tanks, especially with rowdy Mbuna's. A 110 liters (30 gallon) tank is really too small for Mbuna, let alone Tropheus and these close quarters are probably causing the stress. Bloat is caused by many factors, it can be the stress of tank mates, poor water conditions, lack of proper foods, having two full moons in the same month, etc. You shouldn't need an algae eater, with Mbuna or Tropheus, they both love to graze on it. Although, some think it can lack beauty, you have to, at some point put up with it, as along as it is green, it is good. I have some tanks that I only wipe the front so I can see in, and I let the algae take over the sides and backs. The act of grazing, allows the fish something to do besides trashing each other. So get rid of the algae eater, and relax! Clout® will take a bit of a toll on the fish that are not infected, which brings us to the argument of whether bloat is contagious?? In the future, be sure you only feed a green flake, they really can't digest in protein at all, and regular large water changes are a must.
Cichlid Power!
Pam

Cichlid Room Companion
Best Cichlid Site Ever
http://www.cichlidae.com
Pam Chin
Site Admin

Return to Tropheus & Petrochromis